Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper
Accepted Solution

Finally got out with the new 150 ho!

Hello!

I repowered my 2005 proline with a 150ho.

I had it out for the day yesterday and it was as GREAT as I have been expecting!!

My question is with props. I'm running a 19 viper and hit 5200 rpm. Should I simply switch to a 17 viper?
Or try a Raker 2? What's the difference between the two???

I use the boat mainly for fishing, and will be trolling with it and using it to quickly get to my spots.

Thanks for any tips or advice before I pick up another prop tomorrow?
Highlighted
Admiral

Re: Finally got out with the new 150 ho!

the Raker is made for performance boats that exceed 50 mph normally. I have seen it work OK on slower boats but most of the time it is not efficient.

A 17" Viper should bring the rpms up around 5600.  A 15" Rebel may not be quite as fast but will probably give much better fuel economy at cruising speeds while delivering about the same rpm.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

How do you figure out if you need to go up a hole with the motor?

It's a much more complicated process then simply changing a prop... And my boat is up at the lake for the summer season...
Highlighted
Admiral

With someone driving, observe the top of the anti-ventilation plate to see if it is on top of the water or buried. Normally you can raise the motor one or two holes at a time until you have the prop start to suck air in a turn, then drop it down one hole.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

I have been taking it easy , letting the motor get se hours on it..

Yesterday the lake was dead calm so I tested out my max rpms and had a good look at the anti cavitation plate .

With the motor being set up the same as when I first asked, and with a 19 viper, I can trim just past 3/4's of the trim gauge before I loose speed.

Also, I'm getting 5250 Max rpms with just me and one other passenger in my boat.

My selling dealer is great and said I can try out any other prop, what would you suggest I try?

18 viper and up a hole? Or just try a 17 and that should pit me where I need to be??

Thanks again for any help!!
Highlighted
Admiral

Your top rpm is way too low because of the pitch of your prop. Try a 16" or 17" Viper prop to see if your rpm reaches close to 5800 rpm which is ideal.

Is the anti-ventilation plate on the top of the water when running at cruise and faster?

Highlighted
Skipper

When I'm giving it all she's got, the plate is out of the water...

At cruise , I don't really see it, it's still under the water..

I'll grab a 17 after the weekend from my selling dealer and try it out.

From my reading the viper should be what I need for my 19 sport proline... I'm going to be trolling a lot , driving fast to my spots on Lake Erie , and the odd bit of tubing for the family..

Is viper what I want? Or do I consider a rebel...

Thanks bill! I know you know your stuff so I really do appreciate the info!
Highlighted
Admiral

The Rebel may not allow your motor to turn the correct rpms, that is why I suggested a 16" Viper. Especially for trolling and tubing, the 16" Viper should be ideal, but test several sizes to be sure.

Highlighted
Skipper

Good call Bill.

I went with the 17 Viper, and Im up to 5500-5600...only lost about 1 mile per hour.

Im thinking I'll get the shop to lift it up a hole and that should help with a little speed and rpm increase...

Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

Try it one hole up and let us know how it performed. Chances are you may pick up about 100-150 rpm which would be great. See how it performs in the turns with the motor raised.