Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

First Etec - First disappointment - Costs a lot of $$

This spring I decided to upgrade my 1999 Ranger to a newer one.  This came with a upgraded engine as well. I found a 2008 just out of warranty Etec HO 250 on a Z520.  It had low hours and 85-90% of them at 1500 RPM's or less.  This guy was searching for fish on the side immaging camera.  It was never run in a tournament.  So I drove 6 hours test drove it, worked with the dealer brokering it.  I now have it at home.  Having a tough year with the basement flooding I only had it out 3-4 times since I was rebuilding a house.  So about a month ago I went out for the day and at the end of the evening I went to start it and it fired once and died. I used the trolling motor to get back.  I took it to the shop and found out the EMM went out.  $1800 later and it is back running.  I have to say I have owned a Yamaha for 11-12 years without any service done on it.  I am very dissapointed in this and have been told by 3 different dealers this not a common event.  Seems pretty common to me at this point.  I am fearful to take my young kids out on the Mississippi river at this point. I have some significant reliability questions on the Etec engines. 

Admiral

Re: First Etec - First disappointment - Costs a lot of $$

Thank you for taking time to write to us and tell about your experiences. The dealers are correct, an EMM malfunction is a rare event. Sometimes there are circumstances that shorten the life of electronic components. Voltage fluctuations such as from loose battery cables with wing nuts or corroded terminals, or being hooked up backwards at one time even momentarily, or overheating the EMM can affect the reliability of an electronic component.

If you want peace of mind, have a dealer check over your whole rig to make sure there are no problematic areas and that everything is in good shape. Have them do a computer diagnostics check and give you a printout report for your reference.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

I had them check the batteries when it was in they said all was well with the rest of the system.  I am still very dissapointed in Evinrude at this time.  I still own the old boat and have thought of putting this one up on the market and not looking back knowing I have leared a $2K lesson.  I updated to have peace of mind and I do not with this newer rig.  I find it hard to beleive that a 15-20k piece of engineering is to finikey to fail with a low voltage. It should just shut down. The more I think about it the more dissapointed I get with Evinrude, the company, and the quality of the product.  I went from being glowing with excitement and telling everyone how awesome Evinrude's were to feeling like I made the biggest mistake of my Bass fishing life. If I had done something to cause it I can accept the pain of the $1800 but a reason of Just because it might happen is unreasonable and not standing behind your product line.    

Skipper

As Bluewater Bill stated, EMM failures are very rare.  I thik it is important to remember that ANY OUTBOARD regardless of brand can fail.  It is also VERY IMPORTANT to keep in mind that you purchased a USED outboard.  Did you have a certified E-Tec Dealer/Mechanic go through the engine before your purchased it?  It really does not matter if the engine spent 90% of its life below 1500RPM's.  Engines tend to run hotter when at idle speeds.  Loose battery cables, wingnuts, improper wiring, a blocked water intake, sand/mud in intake can all cause an overheat or "spike" to the EMM.  Again, it is very rare to have an EMM fail.  It is also possible you just had the 1 out of 1,000 EMM's that just failed.  T.V.'s, do this, computers crash, on board computers in cars and trucks fail everyday. 

I trust that with the new EMM you will have years of trouble free service from your E-Tec.  Evinrude produces the finest outboards in the industry.  You should feel comfortable in your new to you engine. 

RudeRam 

Captain

I could not of said it better than ruderam, buying anything second hand is a gamble and something would of caused this EMM to fail, if in fact it was faulty. I hope they tried an EMM recovery before just replacing it. Also $1,800 seems high if in the States. As Bill pointed out too I hope they gave you a history print-out showing you the temp profiles for the EMM and engine.

Captain

It always amazes me how people im mediately want to blame someone else or something when something goes wrong. They don't wish to take responsibility for their actions. Yes, you bought a second hand motor and you may or may not have had it checked out by an authorised Etec dealer, the fact is the motor failed for whatever reason. This does not mean it is ever going to happen again and it does not mean it is not reliable.

I bought a second hand Etec sight unseen from a chap a 1000kms away. I did however, had it checked by (of all people) a Yamaha dealer who said it ran very sweetly. Having been a mechanic for thirty years, you do your best in getting the best with the money you have, by the experience you have obtained and the luck that comes with any secondhand purchase.

Any brand of motor whether it be Evinrude, Mercury or whatever, will have a failure at some point in its life. In most cases, it is by human error usually the owners. Otherwise, it is because it is man made, and the human race does make mistakes. I am looking forward to getting the motor in the water in the next few weeks and have the confidence it will perform as well as I have seen many Etecs run.

Get it fixed, look after it and it will look after you. It's that simple.

Captain

[ Edited ]

I'm very disappointed with my second ETEC purchase.

My first ETEC was a new 2012 90hp.  Ran perfect - the only issue was that the tilt/trim unit failed after 8 months of use.

I just bought a new 135HO.  First time on the water, no start at all - we never left the dock.  Took it back to the installer and they got it working, but I wasn't happy with how the throttle shifted (hard to find nuetral and not smooth) .  I took it to a different certified repair marina. It costed me $100. Better, but still not like the 90hp. Went out for a ride, with no problems. Friday, I talked with Evinrude and they said the shifting/throttle is totally different than the 90hp.  I explained it's hard to find nuetral, but not given too much help - I did have another boater look at the throttle who agreed that there isn't a noticable neutral "detent".

Today, it started fine at first, we motored out, then wouldn't start.  It's the same issue as the first time. With the cover off, you can hear the motor "click" when trying to start, but it never tries to turn over. I HAD TO BE TOWED IN and totally ruined my day (and disappointed the two boys with me) - which is something I'm sure I won't be compensated for ....

I travel for work on Monday to Wednesday of next week - which means it will be difficult for me to get the boat in and fixed for next weekend.  If that happens, I'll be without a boat for 3 weekends, due to a new motor.   Oh, and my prop is off my 4 pitch degrees so I still need to take the prop in to get changed.

If Evinrude would like to step up, help me by getting  my motor fixed correctly this week !  The boat is available to be picked up while I'm out of town.  I'm quickly losing faith that this motor is safe for me to use, without having someone on standby to call for towing.

Admiral

[ Edited ]

Sculpin,

I am sorry to hear about your new engine. As you have already experienced the E-TECs are good motors and  your 135 is based on a long running proven design, but sounds like it is a victim of misadjusted or incomplete  rigging as you described not starting, wrong prop  and stiff shifting.

Have a factual, unemotional, and frank talk with your dealer's ownership and service manager about your situation and experiences Good dealers are responive to their customer's concerns. If you do not get satisfaction, have the serial number handy and call Evinrude After Sales Dept. at 262-884-5993.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

I agree with BluewaterBill. 

This sounds like a rigging issue with your dealer.  Sounds like they did not do a wet delivery when you purchased the new engine to confim all was to your satisfaction.  We understand your disapointment but As BluewaterBill suggested, you need to contact the dealer who rigged this engine.  That 135HO is a wold class engine.  Evinrude really has no control on what your rigger did at the dealership.  You could always call Evinrude's Customer Service Hotline 847-689-7090 and see if they might help "motivate" your dealer into getting this turned around for you.  Again, stay cool, stay calm when describing your situation to customer service or your dealer to gain the most ground.

Your no start condition sounds like a "Neutral Safety Switch".  You might try a gental wiggle on the throttle handle if it fails to start with the key in the off position this way it will not regester a TPS out of range error code.  Based on your description of this hard shifting issue it sounds as well as if the dealer has a "Kink" of not enough "Loop" in your control cables near the engine.  Normally we want to see a nice big sweeping loop of the cables before they enter the engine.  I'm willing to bet we have an issue there.  I'm also assuming that your dealer installed new control cables with the new engine?  You should really never use the same cables when changing out engines.  Cables are inexpensive in the grand scheme of things and this helps insure issues like this can be avoided.

I'm confident that once these issues are resolved you will be VERY PLEASED with this engine.

Best Regards,

RudeRam

Captain

My motor was bought  new from the dealer who made my new boat.  No delivery checks were completed.  Oil was put in the tank, the system was primed, and I drove off.  Then it didn't turn over at the ramp.  When I brought it back, we were able to get it running, then the "no oil" alarms came on.  We turned the motor on and off a few times until the alarms didn't come on again.  Also, new cables and controls were used.

I know that this issue is bigger than my dealer can handle.  I need help wiith someone closer to me that can help.  I know of one person that can put the motor in the water, but not take it on the water.   I'm not sure what the other can do.

I did try to wiggle the throttle.  I was able to get the click when I was in nuetral.  When not in nuetral, it wouldn't click.

I'll call customer service this morning.  I'll need to confirm that Evinrude will pay for everything involved to get this motor correctly rigged and operational.  I've already paid an extra $100 for have the rigging worked on, and don't feel like I should have to pay more.