Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Admiral

Re: First Etec - First disappointment - Costs a lot of $$

Glad to hear that things are straightened out for you. I cannot emphasize enough how important proper setup is to having a good running motor.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Yes I can understand where you are coming from I should have used the term malfunctioning! No hard feelings. There were 3 trips back to the dealer over the overheating. The alarms would go off as soon as the key was turned on even though the motor had not been run. The motor was bought new and installed by the dealer at the same time I had a new transom installed and a total refurbishment including rewired seat pods and live tank.
The first time there was a defective temp sender,errors cleared ran on muffs fine which the dealer did in front of me. Towed home on trailer and when got home turned key on temp said 301'F alarms going off so Took it back, temp senders fine updated software and errors disappeared ran on muffs no problems he also had diconnected ignition and guages an pluged a key in to bypass all stuff mounted in boat,as dealer did while I was there again all good towed home again. Got home turned ignition on alarms going off straight to 301'F again. Rang up the etec dealer and he came and picked it up. I said would it have a Broken wire? He said that he would check that and all the connections. All was fine and then spoke with the technitions from Evinrude who told him it would be EMM. The EMM has been sent out and replaced test ran and delivered back to me, was all done under warranty. I have no complaints about the way the dealer has looked after me. BRB have honored their end of the warranty and are happy with them as well. I bought Etec as other 2 strokes don't even compare, and I choose the etec dealer as he is the best marine mechanic in the area.
Will be taking it out in 2 days so should be all good again and can worry about catching a Snappa or a shark or two. Cheer's
Highlighted
Captain

Sounds like your dealer is switched on them-good to hear. Just check that NMEA2000 wiring and backbone. 

Highlighted
Skipper

Hi all took boat out yesterday and I was a bit nervous with the problems that I had. The motor ran as it should with the new EMM, was out 30 mile out to sea in about 12" swell and had no problems. Did not find any snappa but 4 families had flake for tea and was a awesome day out.
Strange how it did 10 hours normal running before EMM broke down, spouse was a dry joint on circuit board but doesn't matter now all good again now.
Has to be better than my old 1977 evinrude 140 HP, the 130 etec uses under half the fuel and has a little more power lol. Safe boating cheers