Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Flow from water pump indicator

I just repowered my boat with a new E-tec 150 hp.outboard   Took it out for the first time and it ran fine.  The only questionable thing I saw was the flow of water coming from the water pump indicator.  At idle it pulses out of the port instead of a smooth stream of water.   The pulsing is in time with the rhythm of the engine at idle.   I had a 150 e-tec and a 90 hp e-tec on previous boats and always had a strong straight stream of water coming out at idle.    I let the motor run at idle for a long period and it never changed in flow or ran hot.     is this normal??

Admiral

Re: Flow from water pump indicator

Normally the water outflow is a steady low-pressure stream just like your earlier model E-TECs. Is it a steady flow when the motor is running faster?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Hard to tell at WOT.   Water was a little squirrelly yesterday and i didnt feel to comfortable hanging around the transom.  My previous E-Tec's had a smooth stream of water as you stated before.   It pulses along with the way the engine is idling.  

Admiral

Have someone drve the boat while you watch the flow when you run the boat, in forward, at about 1000 rpm.

About the only thing I can think of is possibly a broken water pump impeller vane but that would be a super rare occurance. As long as the motor runs OK and does not overheat have a dealer take a peek if you can.

You are seeing this while the boat is in the water, right? Not on a flushing hose?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Yes, I noticed this with the boat in the water.   I have not run the motor with the flush kit.    I'll try to do another test this weekend.   I may could take a short video with my phone and post it it that would help.   The closest dealer to me is over 2 hours away so I was just doing a little research before hauling it back to them.