Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper
Accepted Solution

Flushing eTec 115HO

I have a new 115HO and am a little confused on flushing after running in saltwater.  Ear muffs and running seems to work, but when I use the hose connection it seems very little water passes through.  I am used to other brands with the pee stream plus water gushing from thru hub, back out intakes, etc.  Also, I want to use Salt Away dispenser,,, best approach?

Thanks.

Admiral

Re: Flushing eTec 115HO

Flushing your motor using the garden hose fitting backwashes fresh water through the fuel cooler, EMM coolant passage, the engine block, and waterpump. Because the water is running through a 3/8" diameter pipe, then through 5/16" hoses, there is not a lot of water flow. There is enough to run the motor at idle only or you can just let the water run for about 10 minutes. Hook up your Salt-Away adapter to the hose then to the motor if you wish. Support everything if the adapter is used so as not to put a strain on the engine grommet.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Follow the detailed instructions in your owners manual.

Mate

My dealer advises that the best flush is muffs & the engine running for about 10 min. I concur.