Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper
Accepted Solution

Fuel Filter Leakage 2nd time

I have a Brand New Boat & ETEC 75HP Engine with the Following Problem. After Delivery of the Boat I noticed a small Leakage from the Fuel Filter Union Threads and also Around the Filter Seal to the Filter Mount. The Filter Assembly is "Eastern Marine Water Separating Fuel Filter" This Filter was Dealer Installed and I was not so Happy with this Outcome of a Leakage. So, I Replaced this Filter Assembly to a Evinrude P/N 174176 and exchanged it myself. I also Received a Refund from the Dealer on the Old Filter.

After a Couple of Weeks Usage but not so many hours maybe 1-2 hours the New Filter started to Leak yesterday. I mostly drive short trips to an Island but yesterday I decided to do a little longer trip in order to let the engine strech out. Well, half way thru the trip the engine started to lose power and give erratic engine noise before coming to a complete stop. (Weather temp around 75 F.)

While drifting I checked under the Engine Cover, No Findings. Then I check Fuel Tank (Which is Portable Evinrude Original) no problem there, almost Full. I pressed the Primer Bulb and it was very soft and also I noticed the Fuel coming out from the Filter in the Splash Well while pumping.

So, Obvious leakage and cause of engine stall probably because filter was empty or suction air from filter. Managed to pump up pressure and engine started without problem and I could drive back to the Dock.

The filter is handtighted as much as I possible could with a thin layer of Dow Corning DC4 on the seal gasket and I could not see any signs of surface damage on the filter gasket nor the filter housing.

Two different Filters but same type Leaking in the Same Manner what could be the Cause? I have a hard time to believe they are faulty from factory so that´s why I reach out on this Forum to see if there could be any ideas regarding the fuel system installation.

I have checked following to be correct or almost correct:

• Filter is Tight, unable to move by hand.
  • Fuel hose is SAE J30R9 3/8" date 010819 total lengths with filter in between about 10 feet.
  • Fuel Cap removed, still leakage.
  • Fuel Filter is not completely mounted above Fuel Tank Full Level, But I don´t see how this could cause this problem.

Any suggestions on what to check before replacing the filter assembly again?

Regards,

Benny

Highlighted
Captain

Re: Fuel Filter Leakage 2nd time

I have installed at least 100 on boat filters of several different brands with no leaks. I use triple guard grease on the gasket, tighten by hand, then tighten another 3/4 turn with a filter wrench.
Highlighted
Skipper

Thank you for your input. I am at the Boat now. Will try the filter wrench. Thanks
Highlighted
Admiral

Occasionally I have seen filters or filter brackets with a damaged thread that prevents full tightening of the filter canister.  Inspect the gasket sealing area of the filter bracket to make sure there are no scratches, grooves, or debris preventing a good sealing surface.

About 1/2 - 3/4 of a turn after the filter makes contact should be all that is needed for a positive seal. That is about as tight as you can turn a filter by hand. By not overtightening, it makes removal much easier after time.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Thank You All for the input. I have removed the Filter Assy and will Bring it to my Garage Tomorrow and Remove the Filter for Further Inspection. I was Unable to Turn the Filter in Any Direction in the Boat, even with a Filter Wrench. So, I think it is Tightened Enough...
Highlighted
Skipper

Filter re-installed. Inspected Filter Surface and Mount Surface Satis, No Findings. Filter turned until contact with mount surface. Then one FULL TURN more until stop and not possible to turn any more. (Filter seal was lubricated with fine oil) Just by pumping the Prime Bulb, Fuel was coming out from top of filter, probably from seal surfaces, unable to tell due to the design. So, Leakage still there after two different brand of filters, removed and inspected, tightened until unable to turn, still leaking... I am thinking if there is a blockage in hoses which cause pressure to become to high for the filter so seal? But htis do not explain engine stall and leak from the beginning. I am very puzzled but tomorrow is a new day.
Highlighted
Admiral

Filters will withstand sqeeze bulb pressue with no prblem.

It appears that your filter bracket is faulty or deformed requiring replacement

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

BluewaterBill was right! Turns out there was a pitting in the cast, and it is very small, I have to be honest and say that I did not check so thorough in that area. It looked like it was just some paint bubbles (which is there also). I assume that maybe the paint in the pit hole was dissolved by gasoline and finally started to leak. My mind was a little bit stuck because I had a leak also with the first filter installed by the dealer. I had a hard time to believe that two filters from two different manufactures could give me this problem and I was looking for something mutual to cause this. Turns out it was just bad luck, but what are the odds... Only Murphy know maybe Smiley Wink Many thanks for all support, Happy Boating Ciao Benny

20200608_164843_resized_LI.jpg