Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain
Accepted Solution

Fuel bulb under way gets soft and motor stalls

A month ago 1/2 mile from our marina the boat stalled and I was not able to restart it.  I checked the fuel primer bulb and it was fairly hard. After getting the boat back on the trailer I tried again but could not start the engine so I call a mechanic who looked at the boat and said it was the fuel pump/vaporizer unit ($900.00).  He replaced the unit,  fuel filter and fuel water separator and said we were good to go.  I dropped it in the water, started it and it ran for about 5 min. then stalled. I again could not restart it.  The mechanic again looked it and said there was a low voltage reading and replaced a relay and the 50000uf blue capacitor.  I was able to restart the motor and it ran at idle for 15 min. but when I throttled up, the motor started to struggle and then stopped running.  I immediately checked the primer bulb and it was 30% to prime.  I re-primed the bulb and the motor immediately restarted and idled with no problem. Once again under mid trottle it quit as the demand for fuel is increased.  The voltage reads normal and I have no active fault codes as per his diagnostic software.  

Any ideas what to look for would be greatly appreciated.

Evinride 2006 ETEC 200 HO

Model number E200DHXSDS

Thanks

Greg

Highlighted
Captain

Re: Fuel bulb under way gets soft and motor stalls

I know nothing about your motor but...My g2 does not require nor have a fuel primer bulb.

Skipper

I had a problem like that once on my 2012 25hp e-tec.The motor was new and every time I took it out it would run for about five to ten minutes.would stall out.soon as i primed the bulb back it would start. I kept taking it back to dealer,and finally after three or four times they found that my new tank that came with my new motor had a hair line crack in the suction tube in the six gallon tank.something to check anyway..

Captain

Is your 'mechanic' an E-TEC trained person, or just a throw parts at it person? Did he check fuel supply, vacuum and pressures?

Captain

He owns a mobile service and claimed to have trained, but did not show me his official Evinrude certified master technician card. We have slim pickens for dealerships and the only one within 60 miles has a terrible reputation on many levels. The next closest with a decent reputation is 115 miles away and they are constantly at best 8 weeks out on the repair schedule if you purchased it there and longer if you did not.  Fifteen years ago Evinrude had many dealerships within our coastal town/region but they had dried up and Yamaha is now dominating the market in sales and service.

The problem is I love my 2006 ETEC 200HO.  Since new it has been a great motor with only normal maintenance issues. This issue seems to be a fuel delivery issue. I was not present during the diagnostics but he claimed to have tested the pump, relay and capacitor which he said were bad. Since changing those parts when the motor is primed and getting fuel it runs great, so I am thinking it may be something leading up to the motor. Like everyone else he's backed up 4 weeks. What would most likely cause the primer bulb to lose pressure?

Admiral

Your description of the problem sounds very much like a fuel delivery problem. It could be in the boat such as deteriorated fuel lines (are they gray colored?), debris restrictions, or boat filter problems.  The same symptoms could be from a weak or faulty lift fuel pump that feeds the vapor separator that you just purchased.

An experienced tech, even though they may not be E-TEC trained, should be able to test for vacuum restrictions in the boat's fuel system, inspect for fuel line deterioration internally, and for air in the lines. A simple fuel pressure guage connected to the lift pump output would disclose a pumping problem.

We do recommend that you seek the skills for an Evinrude trained technician experienced with your particular engine.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Thank you Bill,

I decided to check the fuel system myself with 6-8 week repair schedules being the norm for the only quality dealersip 118 miles away.  The fuel lines are black and appear in good shape. I found the Racor filter housing was fairly oxidized after 13 years, so I replaced the housing, filter and primer bulb. I still did not get optimal primer bulb tension and the motor was not running great, so I inspected the hoses from that point to the input side of the new pump/vapor unit (they have been redesigned by Carter to be all one unit now) and found a leak at the fuel line input side. The tech that installed the unit did not use a metal clamp on the hoses and it was leaking and drawing air so I replaced it and the output side clamp too to stop the leaks.  Once complete the engine ran near perfect and now the primer bulb is very hard under mid throttle.  The Sea trial under stress will be tonight. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Admiral

I tip my hat to you.

Glad you found the problem and sorry that the dealer tech was so careless and did not follow instructions.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

I dropped the boat in the water ran it at varying rpm's for an hour and thankfully it ran better than it has in awhile.

Thank you Bill!