Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

Fuel injector cleaning in between additives and "replace 'em"?

I have a 2010 e-tec 90HP that ran like a top when I bought it at 130 and I've put in about another 100 hours. It began taking more-and-more cranks to start starting about 200 hours and also dying at idle. My mechanic came in, checked diagnostics, vacuum, spark,  etc. and tentatively diagnosed it as dirty fuel injectors (particularly #2).  I've never put anything but e-free fuel in and when I changed the filter recently I saw no sign of sediment or water. 

I used an additive, ran it through at fast idle for an hour or so, and it definitely helped a little, but nothing like a real fix. I've run it wide open a few times for a few minutes the last few times I've gone out and not noticed any change from that.

My mechanic is skeptical about pulling the injectors off and cleaning them. He argues that once they're dirty to the point of resisting additives, you're probably better off replacing them. He's pretty much the only outboard technician for 90 miles around, so I can't get a second opinion.

When he was going through the fuel injectors on his computer, cutting the 2nd one did less than cutting the others, but not by much. So I kind of think all of my injectors are likely in pretty much the same condition. Also, apparently he can't set some computer-controlled aspect of the injectors so I'd need to tow the boat 180 miles round-trip to get new injectors installed and configured. Is there any worthwhile intermediate step between "try another bottle of additive" and "buy 3 new injectors"? 

Specifically, could I pull off the injectors, send 'em in a box to someone on the mainland, and reinstall them myself? 

Admiral

Re: Fuel injector cleaning in between additives and "replace 'em"?

Your engine is 9 years old. How many complete dealer services including muffler filter has the motor had and when was the last one that included the muffler filter, sparkplugs, waterpump, etc.?

New injectors are expensive and have to be programmed into the engine computer, EMM, for the flow characteristics and for which cylinder. That takes a dealer with the diagnostic software and access to the Evinrude dealer website to download the required info.

Though not part of or endorsed by Evinrude, there are companies that  specialize is cleaning E-TEC injectors. One such company is fuelinjectorman.com .

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.