Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Fuel lift pump?

2013 200 HO. Think I have a worn fuel lift pump. When motoring at 1k rpm the engine drops rpm and injectors start clicking. If I pump the bulb until hard the engine recovers. Today while on plane 4k rpm the engine just cut out. I checked the fuel tank pick up, removed screen. Changed the on boat fuel filter. Was going to buy a new lift pump until I saw the brp price. Do you carry these Bill?
5007312 LIFT PUMP
Admiral

Re: Fuel lift pump?

You should have the motor checked out by an E-TEC trained technician instead of guessing and buying parts that may or may not be needed. Your symptoms can mimic other malfunctions or issues besides a lift pump.

If you are the DIY type and have the proper test equipment, you can monitor the 2 pumps' fuel pressures and look for bubbles in the gas or a restriction somewhere in the fuel system.

Factory manuals and any parts can be ordered from your dealer.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thanks Bill. I'll do the tests
Skipper

Tested at 4 psi. Should be 15psi
Admiral

Is it 4 psi at all speeds from idle through full throttle measured for at least a minute at each rpm stage or was that an idle reading only?

What does the high pressure pump read at all speeds and when the injectors start to make noise?

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Yes it was 4psi at all speeds for low pressure test and 30 psi at all speeds for high pressure for the circulation pool pump.
I tested the lift pump vaccum and could only get 1hg at all speeds. I tested the air pressure of the lift pump and it didn't hold pressure at all. But I did have to fuel filter off.
Skipper

Plus did the air bubble test and the line was clear
Admiral

So you are saying that you had normal fuel readings that remained normal when the motor was at 4000 rpm  when the motor was cutting out on you?

Skipper

Yes. The stalling is random at 4k rpm. The stall at 1k is more common but intermittent. Happens under load. Never been able to duplicate it sitting in the slip. The stalling is getting more frequent though.
I checked the fuel tank, replaced the bulb with brp bulb,
Cleaned the vst return filter, did the pressure test on the circulation pump, checked the ohms on the injectors and 1 injector did not give a reading, the rest were 3ohm.
Skipper

I did the lift pump test at home on the bench. It holds 15 psi for 5 mins.