Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper
Accepted Solution

G2 250 - E250LHAGD - Code 18 and 156

I've found a couple of posts about these faults, that result in go to the dealer, but before giving up my boat for a couple of weeks, are there any common connections that could be checked? I get the CODE 18 PRVT Network communications fault... Device ID  CH 0, and a similar message from the EMM indicating device id EMM 0, so I was guessing channel 0 of the 2 channel CANBus is disconnected, or cut somewhere. I was getting the code consistently and checked the wiring under the console no change. The prvt network cable has a connector under the front engine cover 'clicked' when I pushed together, and the code went away. But I couldn't get the code back when I attempted to put the cable in it's original position, so I might have just gotten lucky. The code remained for about 40 minutes of run time and is now back.  Are there any other easy connections to check before giving the boat up to the dealer? will be checking the routing of the cable to see if there are any obvious kinks or cuts. Engine has total 55 hrs.

Thanks, 

Mark

Admiral

Re: G2 250 - E250LHAGD - Code 18 and 156

An intermittent connection can sometimes be a real pain to find and pin down. 

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

With the front cover on the engine removed, watch the network cables as you turn the engine fully to each side. There may not be enough of the cable pulled through to give it slack for full turns.
Skipper

That seems to be it. When turned hard starboard the cable tightened up too much for my liking. I re-centered then pulled gently on the top of the cable (arrow under that other connector) and could make the error come and go at will. I cant figure how to disconnect the cable. I can see threads under the metal collar but the collar just spins. Now there's no pressure on turning we'll see if the error comes back then will have to replace that cable. Thanks for your assistance.20180715_142204.jpg

Captain

That cable looks like it has threads but it snaps together. Push connector together, pull up on silver collar, pull cable apart. The collar doesn't pull up much and it still takes me a few tries. You should be able to pull a little more cable out of the rigging tube.
Captain

Just a bit of educational material to add regarding the fault codes observed:

First, Device ID: CH0 is interpreted as Control Head, Instance 0.  This would be the control at your primary helm station.  If your vessel contained two helms, the secondary station control head would report as CH1.  Every fault code displayed will also show the Device ID associated with it.  It is important to note the fault AND the source as the info is most beneficial in troubleshooting.

The other fault code you noted would be 156 PRVT Network Communication fault Device ID EMM0.  In simple terms, these two faults occuring at the same time tell you that both the EMM and the control head are detecting an issue with the signal integrity of the Private network CAN signal lines.  As both the EMM and control head detect the issue, it is a sure bet that the problem exists somewhere between the EMM and control head.

The Private network is a fault tolerant CAN network.  This means that even though the CAN High and CAN Low signals may be comprimised, the network will continue to function in a reduced capacity.  This fault tolerance further enhances the reliability of the network in the event of fault conditions.  Both of the faults you are seeing displayed are non-critical (amber background on fault pop-up messages rather than red background) and are intended to notify the operator of a condition but not requiring immediate remedy or would result in immediate loss of operation.

The two referenced faults will occur under a number of conditions including, CAN H shorted to CAN L, CAN H open circuit, CAN L open circuit, CAN H shorted to ground, CAN L shorted to ground, CAN H shorted to power, and CAN L shorted to power.

A CH fault 19 and EMM fault 115 together would represent a more critical fault of the Private network.  In the case of these faults, it means the Private network is no longer functioning.  This would most likely imply both CAN L and CAN H are open circuit.

It seems that you have likely localized the compromised area of the Private network to the backbone/engine connection.  I would suggest verifying the pin terminals of the Private network cable are not bent or otherwise physically damaged.  In addition, make sure both halves of the connector are free of any contamination like salt buildup, etc.  As the connector was found to not be properly seated, the sealing of this connection has been comprimised for the last 55 hours of operation.

Captain

Thanks for the detailed reply Elder.
With all the new technology, I need to install a higher capacity memory module in my brain.
Admiral

We really appreciate your contributions here and your easy to understand writing style.

Thank you.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.