Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper
Accepted Solution

G2 - 250 LHAGD

Hello,

Recently, the power steering got really weak and loose, i.e. it took 2-3 times the turn on the wheel to get response from the steering. Luckily, control wasn't completely lost! I looked in the Helm and no fluid. I found fluid residue all around the top of what I think is the steering cylinder on the motor. I wondered if anyone else has seen this. (boat is at the dealer, and haven't heard from them yet.) I have around 60-64 hrs on the motor.

Thx!

Highlighted
Captain

Re: G2 - 250 LHAGD

Hard to tell the location of the leak with your description. It sounds like you may have a steering position/angle sensor that is leaking.
Skipper

Re: G2 - 250 LHAGD Steering leak

Thx, ya, the unit is pretty buttoned up on the top of the steering unit, but fluid seemed to be all around the top. I'll look at it when I get it back. I called the Dealer and they had asked Evinrude if there was a common problem, Evinrude sent a 'seal kit'. Dealer didn't mention there was any other communication from Evinrude. Supposed to be installing the kit this week. Only 60 hours of operation over about 1.5 years and the seals are out? And I think the longest idle period might have been 4 weeks (maybe!), so shouldn't be a 'non-use' issue. 

I really like the motor, but if I get to replace steering seals every 60 hours or 1.5 years, that's not good.

I'll update w/ part numbers if I can get them.

Mate

I own a 2015 250hp G2. This spring I was crawling under my boat looking at a trailer issue when I noticed a fluid leaking from two different places from the engine. When I picked it up from the dealer they said the leaks were power steering fluid. After hearing your story, I guess I dodged a bullet.

Admiral

@X48Z wrote:

I own a 2015 250hp G2. This spring I was crawling under my boat looking at a trailer issue when I noticed a fluid leaking from two different places from the engine. When I picked it up from the dealer they said the leaks were power steering fluid. After hearing your story, I guess I dodged a bullet.

Did they repair the leak for you OK?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Ok,I got the boat back from the dealer. Once they got it taken apart to do the seals they found the upper bracket had pitting and wear and that's likely what caused the seals to fail. I appreciate that they worked with Evinrude to get a new bracket. (Part no. E361858) said they had to send pics to get Evinrude to send the part. Appologies for not getting a pic. From what I could tell, the bracket has like a collar probably with seals on the inside and outside of that collar. The wear was on the outside of the collar. The inside looked fine. Hoping this is a RARE occurance.