Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

G2 250 Voltage drop when turning the steering wheel

Aiready have a call into the mechanic...but thought I'd ask here.

Saw it this morning in the dark. Whenever I would turn the motor the deck and flood lights would dim. Went to the page on the screen and watched the voltage drop from around 14 at 500 RPM to 11.5 when I turned the wheel.

It would return to normal as soon as I stopped turning.

Mechanic is thinking the power assist motor is bad and will look into it more in the next week or so.

Batteries are all good and clean.

Has the Evinrude team come across this one before?

thx

LT

Captain

Re: G2 250 Voltage drop when turning the steering wheel

You can use a clamp on ampmeter to verify current draw of steering pump.  Based upon your information, I would suspect a battery with a bad cell though.

If you are using an instrument which utilizes the EMM broadcast NMEA 2000 battery voltage data, that is being measured basically at the point where the battery cable attaches to the post on the engine.  Your deck and flood lights are probably boat builder wiring which attaches to battery as a seperate lead(s).  Dimming of the lights indicates a reduced voltage feeding the lights.  Instrument is telling you that voltage is reduced at the engine.

The fact that voltage is low at both physical locations should rule out problem in battery cable.  That leaves the battery.  There are good electronic load testers available to check battery condition.  If the battery is not sealed, an old fashion hygrometer will give you the best determination of each cell in the battery.  Is the battery sized appropriately for the application?  What does battery voltage reading do at higher engine RPMs?

Captain

1000 CCA grp 24 new in April
Did not check the other battery; Did not check at higher RPMs
Can check other battery easily and will do so later
Captain

That would be a hydrometer.  Fat fingered the keyboard.

Power steering pump current may peak to as much as 100 amps.  80 amps would be a typical upper value.

Captain

Bayport, Are the lights dimming something new with the same rigging?
With the engine charging 10 amps or less at idle a 10 amp load could pull the 14v charging voltage down to normal loaded battery voltage of 12.6 volts.
Captain

IDK...haven't run it in the dark in a long time. At 5-600 RPM the voltage reads 13-14 volts.
Highlighted
Captain

Bayport originally stated that instrument showed battery voltage dropping to 11.5 volts when steering pump running.  Seems to me battery is not charged, doesn't have rated capacity, etc.

Captain

As noted they are 1000CCA grp[ 24 batteries new in April and always kept charged

I went and did some tests...I have 2 batteries, at idle, _550 RPM) the voltage is about 14.3 It drops when turning the wheel in either dirtection, down to lless than 11 some times. I tried it with the other battery, same results. I tried it with battery switch set to both, similar results but didnt drop as much.

Then I put it in neutral and got the rpms upt to aboput 850. Voltage reads 14.3. Turning the wheel causes minimal voltage drop with either battery or both.

Admiral

I believe that a voltage drop test may be in order. If you are not familiar with the procedure, your dealer technician should be. Does the battery voltage using a digital voltmeter directly on the terminals (not the cable ends) read the same  <11 Volts?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Good Q. Will need to employ my wife to help with that. :-)
Good discussion.