Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

G2-300 Nightmare

I want to let everyone know about the extendsive issues I have had with my Evinrude G2 300hp that I purchased in 3/2018.  Since my purchase the motor has been in the shop TEN times (in the shop now), and I have lost nearly six months of time waiting on repairs.  I have filed two complaints with BRP and have not received a response yet.  The inferior quality of the product and their lack of response are totally unacceptable.  Hopefully for the rest of you I just have a lemon.  Before this motor I had 15 trouble free years out of a Mercury 150 EFI and then three trouble free years out of a Yamaha 300 Offshore (lost in Hurricane Harvey).  Until BRP stands behind their product, my goal will be to convince as many people as possible to purchase an outboard from any manufacturer other than BRP.

Highlighted
Captain

Re: G2-300 Nightmare

Sorry to hear about your problems.

Could you please elaborate on the extensive issues you have (had) so we can form an opinion on what's going on.

Highlighted
Admiral

Have you used the same dealer for each time? What are the engine's model and serial numbers so we can look up the engine history?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Evinrude Model #E300LUAGC

Serial #05477282

Highlighted
Skipper

Here is the list I sent to BRP. I initially took the boat to Dargel and then later on to Rockport Marine.  It's not that the tech can't fix the problem - it is almost always a new problem.

Issues with Evinrude 300 G2
3/29/18 Took delivery of new Dargel 250 HDX Kat and Evinrude 300 G2 motor.
1. 4/2/18 Error Code 180 – Dargel found loose water retention cap that had lodged into throttle assembly.
2. 5/29/18 No codes but motor was surging instantaneously – Dargel said they could not find anything wrong.
3. 8/6/18 Code 179 several times while running. Code reset each time motor was returned to neutral. Dargel could not find a problem.
4. 8/20/18 Picked up boat from Dargel and would not start. Code 78 and 175. Next time tried then Codes 78, 163, 175, 195, 197 and 204. Dargel replaced some throttle parts.
5. 9/7/18 Code 179 and motor surging instantaneously. Took to Rockport on 9/11/18 and they found loose power leads on motor.
6. 10/15/18 Code 78. Took 2 hours to get home using trolling motor. Towed to ramp next day and back to Dargel. Before Code 78 was seeing some other issues:
Most time had to turn key 2-3 times to start. On first turn sounded like weak battery, then would usually start on next turn. Dargel said I had to turn key to on and let computer boot up before starting but problem persisted. Was never addressed.
One time motor started and then binnacle went dead. Had to turn off master power to reset everything then binnacle worked.
7. 3/19/19 Code 78 and EMM0 Analog 5v supply overload detected. Had to be towed 20 miles to marina. Took to Rockport Marine on 3/20/19. Motor surging had restarted a few days earlier. At one point my brother looked at me and said “what was that” because the surging was so noticeable.
April 2019 Rockport Marine said motor would test fine on hose but failed twice in on-water tests. During second water test they had to be towed. Opened Evinrude warranty case and Evinrude said to replace some throttle parts. Did so and failed water test again after 6 mile run and had to be towed again. Mechanic said he felt surging when encountering choppy water and then failure occurred shortly after.
4/25/19 Evinrude had RM test the lower unit and recommended changing out the shift actuator in lower unit. RM did as instructed.
4/26/19 Mechanic noticed that voltage dropped as side plates were being tightened onto motor. When bolts were loosened the voltage stabilized. Mechanic believes that wiring harness is defective or damaged. He said when voltage dropped that throttle position opened. This could indicate that the wiring harness damage could be causing the intermittent surging. Ordered wiring harness to be delivered 4/29/19.
5/1/19 Replaced wiring harness. Most of the codes went away but computer said to replace key switch. Did that and new code 165 appeared (TPS-B out of range). Mechanic said that made no sense since he had installed a new throttle valve assembly. He tried the old valve and got same code. Sent the information to Evinrude and said the engineering team was trying to resolve. I called customer service to complain and was lied to/got the run-around, was not allowed to speak to a manager, and then the customer service person (Jami) hung up on me.
Warranty Case #01814896
Complaint Case #01819666 Customer Service (Jami) 844-345-4277
5/2/19 Evinrude told mechanic to check the wire in the harness plug at the EMM that goes to the TPS-B. Wire had pulled out b/c the harness was so short that the wires were in tension. He tried to fix it but could not so had to order another harness. Steve Simmons gave me the Evinrude regional sales manager name, Sean Eynon. I left him a message.
5/3/19 Evinrude ordered a new wiring harness for next day delivery. I received a call from Sean Eynon. He said he waited to call back so that he could speak to RM and review all the engine history. He even had read my posts on 2coolfishing. He said he would have the Texas Evinrude technical rep, Jeff Bondy, go over all the motor issues with RM and resolve all my issues. Jeff is out of Houston. Sean said my motor was built in 9/2016 so it sat at Dargel for over a year. Said that is not unusual for large builders but is unusual for small ones like Dargel. Wanted to know if motor had zero hours on it when I got it (I could not remember noting the hours). Questioned whether the motor could possibly have been used as a demo or something. Said I am much better off at RM than at Dargel for repairs. He thought maybe all updates were not done on motor or possibly some rigging issues. Sounded confident in getting the motor in good condition and told me to contact him if any issues in the future. Also said he would see if BRP would throw anything in for my troubles (how about coupon for the 500 hour service). Received notice from BRP customer service that Evinrude technical rep would be at RM on Tuesday 5/7/19.
5/7/19 Tech replaced wiring harness again and everything shop and water tested good. Evinrude gave me a new prop for my trouble.
8. June 2019 Key switch acting up again. I did some online research and other owners were having similar issues. Evinrude recently redesigned the key switch so I bought and installed the new design and no further trouble with key switch thru 10/2019. Also got some network fault codes (I think 114 and 117) on one trip. Tech said Evinrude told them the codes were a “glitch” and to ignore them.
9. 9/21/19 Problem with power steering. Over several months the steering would get really loose and it would look like I was driving under the influence. On 2 previous occasions the mechanic just power bled the system and everything returned to normal. Took it in this time and the tech found an end cap leaking. Received a repair kit from Evinrude and installed it only to find an o-ring missing. Ordered a 2nd kit and when received it was missing the o-ring also. Ordered a 3rd kit with request to have it inspected first. Installed it and everything tested good. Boat ready on 10/19/19.
10. 11/4/19 Motor is changing RPM and speed without moving the throttle. Has occurred numerous times over three days of use where I am running in the range of 4500 to 5000 rpm and suddenly the boat slows down. Lose 300-600 RPM, but the throttle position (as shown on the ICON) never changes. The issue occurs for two to ten seconds and then the RPM and speed returns. I called BRP customer service to file a complaint regarding all my issues with the outboard. Sent them a video of the Icon showing the issue and this list.
Customer Service Person: Ann Moriarity (very courteous) Case #: 1982461

11. Picked boat up on 11/13/19. Took it for a test run on 11/14/19 and after 40-60 minutes the erratic power loss resumed. Took it back to the authorized Evinrude service center. The tech said he had previously found a failed spark plug and replaced all the plugs. He test drove it for an hour with no issues before I picked it up on 11/13. I notified BRP through my previous complaint filing about the reoccurrence of the power loss issue. I have never received any response from BRP customer service or any corporate representative regarding the two complaints I filed with BRP customer service.

Highlighted
Captain

That is a long list.

The steering apart, from my perspective it might have been easier for BRP to replace the power head. 

At this stage the cost of repairs and warranty must be getting towards cost of a power head.

Highlighted
Skipper

Nordmann, well you are correct now.  Here is what has happened since my last post.

Tech needed a long USB cable so he could run the motor on the computer and disgnose the power loss.  He received the cable and ran my boat for 40 miles on 11/19 and never saw the power loss. On 11/20 I went with the dealer tech and the regional BRP tech. We ran for about 1-1/2 hours and the power issue occurred twice. The second time the tech was able to capture the engine data on his computer. He talked to someone at BRP and they seemed pretty sure that a bad injector is the cause. Unfortunately the occurrence was so short and erratic that he could not determine which injector was bad so they have six new updated injectors coming next day. 

Steering had been making some noise so the tech updated the software. Today the boat was almost un-steerable to the right (took two hands). Back to the drawing board on THAT issue.

Today the situation has gone from ridiculous to downright comical. BRP tech called me this morning. Said the data from the Wednesday run showed an overheated DPS(?) sensor causing the steering issue. Replaced the sensor and he thinks steering is repaired. Replaced the injectors and plugs and before a full test drive they decided to run on the hose. Motor displayed the same power loss again while running on the hose. Then water started coming out of the engine, and not where it is supposed to come out! They pulled plugs and there was water in the cylinders. I asked what could cause that and he said he wasn't even getting into that. He called BRP and, because of all the problems with this motor, they are sending a new dressed power head. It is supposed to be a new design with all the changes and upgrades incorporated (why do I feel like a guinea pig). The steering system is not being replaced.

I called customer service to ask why the motor wasn't being replaced at this point instead of just the power head. She said that "management" decided to replace the power head and that BRP normally does not do this on motors over one year old. I requested to talk to "management" or for "management" to email me with an explanation for replacing the power head instead of the motor. I told her that I have suffered a significant financial loss because of the failure history of this motor. She would not forward me to "management".

Because of the holiday, the work to replace the power head will not start until 12/3/19. Another month lost.

Highlighted
Captain

I have a 2016 g2 250HO and I have had 3 powerheads replaced 2 were a rigging issue the last one was a legit defect. Brp was ubelievable fast, never was I off the water longer than 7 or 8 days. I have been dealing with the same dealership since 1988 and they bend over back wards. If you show up at a service center with an engine bought somewhere else because you got a better deal, you have to expect difficulties getting prompt service.

Highlighted
Skipper

Speckman,

My local Evinruede service center (who I live about four miles from) that I am using was not open when I purchased my boat.  They were severely damaged by Hurricane Harvey and changed ownership during that time before reopening.  I purchased the rig from the manufacturer, who is about three hours away, and they are more focused on new builds instead of service.  The nearest dealer, other than the manufacturer, was also about three hours away.  I have never felt like I was being pushed to the back of the line or not focused on by the local service center, and I would definitely talk to them about repower if/when needed - just not with an Evinrude based on my current situation.  When they picked up the Dargel boat line, I talked to the manager and offerred to provide test drives and commentary to any potential buyers of the Dargel Kat.  I think I have a good relationship with the local guys, and they are really trying to keep me running.  The manager commented the other day that I have a lemon and it should be replaced.  Guess BRP is partially replacing it by providing a fully dressed power head.  I am still concerned about the power steering but hope the latest repair is the solution.

Highlighted
Captain

has it been fixed now ?