Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

G2 300 hp - autopilot installation - pump selection

As the steering system of Evinrude G2 does not have a separate cylinder, it seems to be a puzzle what kind of

pump should be used with the autopilot.

So are the RPU-80 and PUMP-1 of Simrad both good choices ?. The only comment I have gotten is that the preassure of the pump can not exceed the steering systems maximum. The RPU-80 is 60 Bar and the PUMP-1 is 24 bar. The max of the steering system is a bit over 100 Bar.

Any experience of these pumps working with G2 engines ?. Which would be better ?.

rgs. Ilkka.

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: G2 300 hp - autopilot installation - pump selection

We have forwarded your inquiry to the appropriate department and are awaiting their response.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

I have talked with Garmin and Raymarine, and the mechanic who installed my pair of 250 G2's last year, has talked with BRP tech.
It would be EXTREMELY helpful if I could get an answer that is consistent.
I replaced two 2-stroke 250's from the 1990's. An older Raymarine autopilot was part of the old system. It worked fine. We installed the originally pump on the new G2 system when we replaced the older helm and hydraulic system.
We originallyassumed the older pump would work with the new installation. But, having read horror stories and warnings about pumps that are too "powerful" for the DPS system, we did not connect the autopilot control head.

Garmin suggests installing its expensive system with a smart pump that handles a variety of pressures. They had no experience with G2's.
Raymarine has no experience with G2's. They said I could connect the pump to a battery and see if it turns limit-to-limit in 10 seconds, plus or minus a couple seconds. Then, they say, the pump will work fine with the G2's. If it takes "say" 5 seconds or less, then the pump is too big for the system.
Not helping me a lot, as I don't want to blow the DPS.

Evinrude tech says to check the pressures in the hyrdraulic system. Not sure what that will tell me.
I prefer not to purchase a pump like the multi-purpose smart pump....I don't intend to use it on more than this one boat and hydraulic system. I prefer a pump of one specific size that will work.

The autopilot techs at both companies can help me IF I can give them the size of the non-existent cylinder. They were susrpised that the G2's don't have anything like that.

It would certainly help those of us who re-power, and I would expect, the autopilot manufacturers, to know exactly what the G2's require.

Thanks.

Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

Could you give us some more information about your situation, please? 

Were these conversations with Garmin and Raymarine held recently?  If not, how long ago?

The Evinrude T-TEC G2 models has been in production for over 2 years now and the after-market companies should be familiar with them now.

Are there any other details that you can give us concerning your steering which would help us in finding an answer for you?

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

Yes. I talked with Raymarine  AND Garmin last week. One tech at Garmin with a solution of purchasing everything new to include the smartpump because it could handle a variety of pressures. First tech at Raymarine referred me to a second tech...I think his name was Lee. His suggestion was, as I described, to start my engines, turn the helm to maximum limit in one direction, connect the pump to 12 volts, and see how long it would take for the engines to reach the other limit. 10 seconds was optimum, he said, but anything from 8-14 seconds was acceptable. "Five seconds is too fast," he said.

Given some of the reports about the DPS and making sure we didn't overpressure it, the mechanic that installed my G2's (and I LOVE them) and I are not willing to risk damaging the DPS.

The easy way, of course, would be to fork out another 4 grand plus installation. That's easy, exept for the 4-grand part.

Thanks for your help.

Highlighted
Admiral

There should be some more information coming soon but first I do have concerns that you want to use a 20-year old auto-pilot pump on a brand new sophisticated steering system.

There would be wear, possible oil contamination, and perhaps metallic particles inside a pump that old which could easliy affect the precision parts in your new Evinrude E-TEC G2 outboard.  If something like that should happen, would it be the outboard's fault (warranty) that something affected its steering operation?

What is the complete model number of your engine located on the serial number sticker? Very early models may have pressure limitations but later ones should not.

Highlighted
Admiral

G2 steering specs for auto pilot

displacement specs
G2 is 8.9 cu in displacement
Seastar cylinder is 8.34 cu in displacement

An AP pump suitable for a popular Seastar cylinder will work because of similar displacement. The G2 has a slightly bigger displacement as it has a larger turning radius.

The Raymarine tech has got it right. Count the time from lock to lock. [see note below]

The auto-pilot pump is just another type of helm. It displaces a certain amount of fluid. Less fluid results in a slower turn ratio. It is not a matter of pressure. Pressure is a result of the resistance to movement.  Helms really don't "pressurize" the system like the old systems - Helms apply a force which moves the fluid. Pressure is only measured by the resistance of fluid movement caused by engine resistance to move and fluid friction inside the hoses. No resistance - no pressure.

The AP pump has to have strength / power to overcome the steering resistance. 
As long as the output volume is adequate the AP pump will do its job

-----------------------
NOTE: First tech at Raymarine referred to a second tech...I think his name was Lee. His suggestion was, as I described, to start my engines, turn the helm to maximum limit in one direction, connect the pump to 12 volts, and see how long it would take for the engines to reach the other limit. 10 seconds was optimum, he said, but anything from 8-14 seconds was acceptable. "Five seconds is too fast," he said.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------