Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

G2 300 running rough

Hi there,

wondering if someout there can advise on the following. I'm located down here in New Zealand and have a G2 300 on my boat. Since new between the rev range of 1800 to 2100 it runs rough as guts, miss firing etc. Had the local Evinrude guys come out for a run and then they downloaded all the info and sent it back to to Evinrude in the States. They eventually came back and said put a new computer on it. That has been done and frankly it's not a whole lot better.

Now what it does at that 1800 / 1850 rpm is run like crap for 4 or 5 seconds and then jumps straight to 2300 rpm and runs very smooth.

I've been told it's something to do with the change over point in the electronic ignition. I'm just wondering if anyone else out has this problem, or is it normal??

cheers

Askari

Skipper

Re: G2 300 running rough

[ Edited ]

Running rough, revs fluttering, jumping between 500 revs different, vibration... I have had this very same fault twice (three times as its doing it again) its been an injector failing, and each time it has not come up on fault codes. The engineer has had to go into the computer and shut down each cylinder in turn. When he shuts down one and it doesnt cause a splutter thats the injector he changes...

Highlighted
Admiral

The EMM will only store and signal a bad injector code if the problem is electrical, such as a short or an open circuit. 

An internal mechanical failure or problem inside an injector is not monitored. Many times a mechanical injector failure is a broken spring or stuck check valve, often from water in the fuel or phase separation causing corrosion.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thanks for the reply from you and Blue Water Bill, was starting to think I was imagining things. We obviously don't have a heck of alot of G2's let alone 300hp G2's running around NZ so owner info is abit hard to come by.

Appreciate your guys comments and will take it up with the agent and Evinrude NZ and see what they say.

cheers

Askari

Skipper

To those of you that responded to my previous post about my G2 300 running rough. Evinrude have now replaced the injectors and have advised that it has made no difference. They are now saying that they want to check the "water power valve operation".  So I've got a brand new engine that has already had the comupter replaced on it, new injectors installed and there's still a problem. I've asked Evinrude NZ for a new engine. Don't know about you guys in the US but I purchased my 300 with a 10 year factory warranty but I'm I'm starting to loose the faith. How can a new motor be such a peice of crap. I'd like to believe that Evinrude did not put a motor on the market with these problems.

Any idea's

cheers

Askari

Admiral

[ Edited ]

What is the engine serial number?

Because you are outside of the US or Canada, you can email your concerns with the motor's serial number to   brp.care@brp.com

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Hi there, got to say I can't fault Evinrude today. Had a call from the MD of Evinrude NZ first thing this morning with an apology and offering to put a new powerhead on my motor and if I'm still not happy they will replace it with new.

So will see how that all works out.

cheers

Askari

Admiral

That is great to hear. Keep us posted.