Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

G2 Fuel Pump

Should the G2 fuel pump turn on for about 10 seconds every time the key is switched to the "On" position? 

If you put the key in the "On" position for 15 seconds (and hear the fuel pump run for about 10 seconds of that time), then turn the key to "Off" for 5 seconds and then back "On"....should the fuel pump run again or would it not run because the engine is presurized from the previous 15 second "On" cycle?

It's my understanding that the fuel pump runs continuously when the engine is running...right?

Admiral

Re: G2 Fuel Pump

From the service manual...

The electric fuel lift pump is controlled by the EMM

and operates on the 12 V circuit. The pump activates

for 10 seconds when the EMM powers up

(assumes the fuel system is primed). The fuel pump runs

continuously during engine operation.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

[ Edited ]

Thank you once again BluewaterBill.  What error code should be recorded in the EMM if the key is moved to "On" and the fuel pump does not turn on?

Is there a diagnostic or test to verify the EMM controls the fuel pump properly/consistently? Is there a diagnostic or test to verify the fuel pump operates properly/consistently?

Since the 2nd key switch was installed (starting at Engine Report #2 and continuing on in Engine Reports #3, #4 and #5), the voltage reading in the 2 minute history for T-115 in all the reports is always at <=30 even though the RPM and TPS numbers change. I was told this was not a problem and the system operates between 30 and 55 Volts. The knocking was also said not to be a problem.

Since the 3rd key switch was installed, I’ve noticed the fuel pump intermittently turns on when the key is moved to “On”. I reported this to the dealer who said he passed the information onto the BRP representative. BRP Care had me take the engine in to the Dealer/BRP Representative for another thorough inspection. When I got the engine back, I was told that the fuel pump only turns on when the EMM detects that a fuel tank in the engine is low on fuel so I shouldn’t expect the fuel pump to necessarily turn on when the key was turned from “Off” to “On”. When the fuel pump doesn’t run before starting the engine, the engine stutters and shakes for a while and it just doesn’t seem right. The dealer and BRP rep say I need to run the engine and just let them know when I get an error. I'm not sure I'm going to know when that happens exactly. I can't watch the 3.5 display constantly for possible errors that flash on and off so fast I can't even read the whole error message sometimes.  If the 3.5 display showed the "occurred engine faults" in the engine reports and had an option to view all historical engine faults, I think that would be a great product improvement for customers. 

There are so many anomolies.  At this point, I think the faulty key switches & throttle controls/cabling, 114/115 codes, 181/203/204 codes, 19 codes, EMM failures, Engine and lower unit failures I’ve read about and have experienced some are interrelated.

Admiral

There are instances that will show errors in the 2 minute report or even on the laptop when the motor is shutting down.  If the voltage is low as the motor is turning off, you may see errors recorded but they do not mean a thing.  Evinrude teaches that in training classes and send a publication to the dealers about it.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

@BluewaterBill wrote:

There are instances that will show errors in the 2 minute report or even on the laptop when the motor is shutting down.  If the voltage is low as the motor is turning off, you may see errors recorded but they do not mean a thing.  Evinrude teaches that in training classes and send a publication to the dealers about it.

Thanks for that information...I will have to keep that in mind when I look at reports.

What error code should be recorded in the EMM if the key is moved from "Off" to "On" and the fuel pump in the engine does not turn on? 

If the engine fuel pump doesn't run when the key is moved from "Off" to "On", is it still ok to start the engine and run it?

Is there a diagnostic or test to verify the EMM controls the fuel pump properly/consistently?

Is there a diagnostic or test to verify the fuel pump operates properly/consistently?

Admiral

ben22ee wrote:

What error code should be recorded in the EMM if the key is moved from "Off" to "On" and the fuel pump in the engine does not turn on? 

If the engine fuel pump doesn't run when the key is moved from "Off" to "On", is it still ok to start the engine and run it?

Is there a diagnostic or test to verify the EMM controls the fuel pump properly/consistently?

Is there a diagnostic or test to verify the fuel pump operates properly/consistently?

Only if open or shorted circuit

Yes

Yes

Yes

Mate

just bought a newer boat has a 2016 g2 225 on it , the first few times i guess i didnt notice the fuel pump running while motor is on . last night i could here the pump running while motoring . all should be good just in my head, that it is louder ? boat runs great . fuel pump runs for 10 seconds when you turn key to on then shuts off till i start the motor again . It just seemed to me it was louder then i remember ? no faults or codes. 150hrs on motor

Captain

Boat fuel systems (hoses, fittings, tank pick up tube) can develop air leaks. Air in the fuel will make a fuel pump louder. This can cause engine damage from lean running conditions. A trained technician would be best to test this. An owner can do a basic test by using a piece of clear 3/8" tubing in line at the outlet of the on boat filter to look for air bubbles in the fuel while running on the flush hose. This tubing is not considered safe to use while running the boat .