Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

G2 - Garmin

I'm new to fully networked boating and have a persistent bug that we have not been able to work out. The boat is all aluminum and equipped with the following networked devices:

2- Garmin GPSMAP 7612 XSV MFDs

Garmin VHF 210

Garmin GFL 10 (fuel level)

Garmin GNX 21

Sea Star Solutions Hydraulic Steering

FW Murphy (Evinrude ICON 4.3 Screen)

Evinrude /BRP Evinrude Etec G2 EMM

Fusion MS-BB300

Garmin GXM53 antenna

All the networked devices function normally and flawlessly, until the G2 is started. After a short time, approximately 1 to 10 minutes, the Fusion MS-BB300 and the Sea Star Solutions get bumped off the network. I don't notice any affect in the steering, but I loose control of the Fusion MS-BB300. The media screen of the MFD says: " The preferred media device is not currently available. Wait for it to become ready, check the connection, or choose another device from the list." Stopping the motor does not restore control, only a full power cycle via the Perko switch. 

My marine electronics dealer changed the NMEA backbone to a rigid style and mounted it in the inside of the console, changed cable drops and warrantied the MS-BB30 thinking it was defective, the problem persisted. The Garmin equipmet software is up to date via the Active Captain App, and the MS-BB300 has also been updated. 

The G2 is on an independent battery from the rest of the marine electronics, which are on two batteries wired in parallel. Knowing that most electronic problems originate from poor grounding, I jumpered the grounds of all three batteries together, problem persisted.

I'm all out of ideas and welcome any input you all may have. Thanks for reading.

Highlighted
Captain

Re: G2 - Garmin

I would look for a network power node problem.
I suggest running the G2 and 4.3 display on a network with an isolated battery and a power node for that network connected to the same battery. Then connect the engine network to the boat network with a bus cable going through a power isolation T.
A single power node may be getting overloaded and multiple power nodes without a power isolation T can cause "ground loops".
Skipper

Thank you for the response. We tried your suggestion and in the end found that the wrong cable was used to attach the msbb300 to the nmea backbone. When we changed it to the non powered drop, it appears to have resolved the problem. I don’t know if Fusion supplied the wrong cable or they supplied both and the wrong one was inadvertently used. Thank you for your time and response.
Captain

Your report of the solution is appreciated as it helps all of us learn from the experience of others.
Some NMEA capable devices are packaged with components to install them as if they were own their own network, it's better than opening the package and discovering "batteries not included".
NMEA networks will not work correctly trying to run on multiple power supplies (nodes). But too many devices can overload one power supply. With a growing number of networked devices now being installed on boats installers are now building several independent networks (engine, Fishfinder/chartplotter, and , entertainment devices) each with its own power node, then connecting them together through power isolation T's. Networking is growing rapidly in recreational boating. A major suppliers of marine wiring products has just come out with a line of network cables, connectors, and isolation T's. They are even offering storefront display racks with the various components in individual packages.