Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

G2 Ignition Aux Contact For Accessory Device Interface

Need to interface Minnkota 15' Talon and MK-3DC Alternator with G2.  Need aux contact or 12VDC HIgh signal with ignition on.  How are members interfacing these devices with this motor?  Classic purple wire connection goes low on ignition switch on for this motor.

Minnkota and Evinrude will not definitively answer this question.

Boat is 17 Legend V20.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Captain

Re: G2 Ignition Aux Contact For Accessory Device Interface

Your termonolgy of "high" and "low" states seem to indicate that you are looking for TTL logic voltages below .5 or above 2.5. The purple wire should have 0 volts at key off and 12 volts at key on. Since the network power node is connected to this accessory power circuit, your public network would not power up if, for some reason, your purple wire we're "going low" at key on. Is your Evinrude instrumentation working properly? Also be aware that there is a limitation of how much current the accessory circuit can handle.
Admiral

I am forwarding your inquiry and will report back when I have an answer for you.

As Rick already mentioned, we are not sure of what you mean for the purple wire to "go low". It is either on or off with approximately 12 to 14.4volts during key ON and normal running.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

G2 control heads differ from the past.  The "classic" purple wire in the keyswitch harness no longer is providing a switched 12 volts as it had in the past.  Beginning with the G2 line, the purple wire is a low level signal which interfaces to circuitry within the control head.  There should be no non-factory items connected to any of the wires of the keyswitch harness.

If you have a need for a conventional switched B+ signal source (like the "classic" purple wire) then you should utilize the Accessory Power Out connections which is part of the control head harness.  As the total current available from this output is around 7 amps (fused 10A) you must consider the current your accessory devices require.  If the rigging will exceed the limits, then you should add the accessory power relay for additional current capability.

Admiral

Thank you, Mr. Sparky.

To  mgtgrb:

There is your official answer.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Elder, thanks for the correction
I reread the original post and saw that he was checking the purple wire out of the key switch instead of the purple wire out of the accessory power connector.
Admiral

@mgtgrb wrote:

Need to interface Minnkota 15' Talon and MK-3DC Alternator with G2.  Need aux contact or 12VDC HIgh signal with ignition on.  How are members interfacing these devices with this motor?  Classic purple wire connection goes low on ignition switch on for this motor.

Minnkota and Evinrude will not definitively answer this question.

Boat is 17 Legend V20.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I looked at the installation manuals for both items and neither one needs a 12V high or low signal.  They require a 12 volt switched circuit for their sense wires. On a G2, the switched 12 volts is on the controls, not on the keyswitch as Elder Sparky already said - you may need the accessory relay kit if your current draw on the circuit will be more than a few amps.  The Minnkota books did not specify what the amperage draw was for both products. Perhaps you can contact their support group for the answer.

Mate

Hello Mr. Bill and Mr. ElderSparky,

Thank you for looking into this, I do not have a wiring diagram for the G2 available as I haven't purchased a shop manual yet.  I can visit my local Evinrude G2 trained dealer for the diagram and some advice, they are helpful but clueless about interfacing an auxiliary device to the motor.  Minnkota and Evinrude speak in generalities.  I agree with not connecting anything to the key switch wiring harness.  After my boat dealer and my local Evinrude G2 trained dealer stated to connect it to the purple wire, I regrettably ended up opening the bundle and butt spliced it to my aux lead but tested the voltage first before connecting to the devices and with the key switch "on" the voltage went from 12VDC "off" to 2.5VDC "on".  I had to re-solder the wires back together.  Neither resource was familiar with this.

What you are proposing makes perfect sense, I did ask Minnkota about what the input impedance or sink current for the would be but again, nothing but crickets.....both accessories are driven by separate power feeds and I would suspect that the input switching logic circuit would be an electronic or electrically /optically isolated input with low current draw, but could be wrong, putting in the fuse makes sense on the aux output from the power head. 

I appreciate both your time and input to help solve this issue.  The motors amazing and Talons work well. 

Best regards,

Mike

Mate

Need clarification.  Tested Accessory Output Power two pole male plug off binnacle control harness expecting to measure +12VDC on purple wire but only read +4.32 VDC referenced to battery negative terminal.  I need a 12VDC signal switched with the ignition.  What accessories operate on 4.32V?  The plug was directly off the harness and not in series with any other device.

I have tried to resolve this 3 times with visit to local Evinrude G2 trained service tech.  The schematics are diagrammatic with limited indicated voltages. Evinrude will not answer my emails and on the phone they deflect to their dealer network for help, which needs further training.

This should not be that hard.....thanks for any help with this.

Captain

Did you check the voltage on the accessory power plug using the ground in the plug? As I recall, accessory power output comes from the control head and not directly from the ignition switch like it did on the G1 engines.