Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Admiral

Re: G2 Start Delay

Talk to your dealer, unless you want to gamble that it is the switch and pay for it out of your own pocket.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

tjm
Captain

Well its been just shy of a year since my switch was changed and now it is doing the same thing, delay when starting. even though i'm under warranty it cost me $177 for the dealer to come to the boat. This year it will cost me another $180 to have the switch checked out and replaced.

Thats quite a bit of money to spent on defective switches. has Evenrude done anything to correct this problem?

tjm  

Skipper

I’m on my second switch and it is doing the same thing. Dealer is aware and awaiting on BRP for the 3 replacement.
Skipper

Already had the key switch replaced and this new one is doing the same thing. Dealer is aware and waiting on BRP for the 3. The day keeps getting longer
Admiral

Does your switch have the safety lanyard that clips onto the keyswitch or is the keyswitch and safety lanyard separate?

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

I have experienced similar issues with my 2017 250 G2 HO.      Just started a few weeks ago.  I found that I had to take throttle out of Neutral, and then back into Neutral position several times.   When I aksed my dealer, he said he wastn aware of any issues, but ironically had another customer with same complaint that same day.  This other customer said he had to "jiggle"  the key a little and that worked.   That has also been working for me , so far.   Dealer is very non chalant bout problems I have been reporting, and very reluctant to have me bring the boat in to resolve these issues......  Im looking for another service shop, looking very hard.  

Skipper

Clips onto the key switch
Admiral

@bobbdyd41c wrote:
Clips onto the key switch

That switch should be replaced with the newer type with the separate safety switch and lanyard.

Highlighted
Skipper

brp knows there is problem with  key switch but dealers put in stock old ones on shelf, thats why we have this reoccuring problem. dealers need upgraded key switches in stock .im gettin,g ready for 3 rd key switch , dealer ordered  new one this time

Skipper

blue water bill, do you have an item number for the new key switch so i can talk with my dealer