Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
tjm
Captain

G2 Start Delay

i have a new E250XAG with a 4.3 touch screen guage. sometimes when i start the motor there is a time delay between when I turn the key and when the motor begines to crank. Sometimes its pretty long about 4 seconds or so. An evinrude tech  told me it may be caused by the engine module communicating to the 4.3

any thoughts

tjm

Highlighted
Captain

Re: G2 Start Delay

The delay should have nothing to do with the EMM communicating with an instrument.

Before the control head will send the command to crank the engine, the EMM needs to tell the control head the engine is in neutral.  The control head must also know that the control lever is in neutral.

After all that checking, the control head needs to see and acknowledge the keyswitch is in start position.  Finally, the control head sends a message to the EMM to crank engine.

ElderSparky

· Was your question answered? Help others find the answer by clicking "Accept as Solution".
· See a great post? Give a Kudo kudo.pngto show your appreciation!
Highlighted
tjm
Captain

ok thanks, i take it that the delay is nothing to be concerned with.

tjm

Highlighted
Captain

I'm no technical expert, but as a customer, a 4 second delay is too long.
2017 Tidewater 1910 Baymax
Evinrude 150HO (M: E150HGXABH S/N: 05500627H MFDate: 6/17)
Highlighted
Captain

The 4 second delay is certainly not normal.  As I said, the delay is not being caused by communicating with an instrument however.

Verify that you can turn the key to the "ON" position and that the fuel pump immediately starts running and continues for 10 seconds.

This fact will verify that the EMM is awake and functional at key on condition.

ElderSparky

· Was your question answered? Help others find the answer by clicking "Accept as Solution".
· See a great post? Give a Kudo kudo.pngto show your appreciation!
Highlighted
Admiral

It is possible that your keyswitch is at fault. Your dealer can check that by monitoring any delay of the voltage coming through it. There have been bulletins on the keyswitch and on the bullet connectors on certain types of panels. Your technician can check for either replacements or if your current switch is affected by the service literature.

One dealer informed us that he had a 10-second startup delay which was attributed to a swtich assembly.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
tjm
Captain

Sounds like the key switch. had the boat out this weekend and had a delay of a least 10sec before it would start. sometines the starter attempted to start then drops out. i had to do this a few times to get the starter fully engaged and start the engine.

when i turn the key the fuel pump engages and 4.3 boots up

thanks for the info

Tjm

Highlighted
tjm
Captain

My evinrude dealer came and replaced the switch. now it works like a charm.

thanks again for the info

tjm

Highlighted
Admiral

Glad to hear things are fixed and that it was something easy.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

I have a 2017 E250XHAGF and it is doing the exact same thing! Do I have to take it in or is this something that I can fix? My dealer is 3 hours away