Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

G2 Tilt/Trim Noise

I have a 2018 250ho G2. Recently, when I turn the ignition key to on, the motor makes a noise that sounds like the tilt/trim motor. It seems to change speed, sometimes it’s quiet and slow, other times loud, high pitched and fast. It even makes the noise if the key is off, and I trim the motor from the buttons on the outboard. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks for reading and I appreciate the help.
Highlighted
Admiral

Re: G2 Tilt/Trim Noise

How long does the noise last, about 10 seconds?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

It is continuous. Looking at it a little closer, it appears to be related to the DPS steering. It stops making the noise when the steering wheel is turned to full lock left or right. Additionally, the horizontal round motor between the trim/tilt cylinders gets too hot to touch. This is all in the key on motor off position or, if I trim the motor from the buttons on the motor.Thank you for responding.
Highlighted
Admiral

Contact your dealer as the steering (DPS) module or the pressure sensors could be at fault.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Understood. Thank you.
Highlighted
Skipper

Dealer says pressure sensors need to be replaced. Impressive, accurate diagnosis over the internet. Thanks for what you do.
Highlighted
Skipper

I had the same problem on my G2 300 it was the steering module