Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

G2 con rod destroys my engine

Hi there my G2 with 102 hours just died on me recently and diagnosis is that somehow the con rod has broken my engine and created a hole in the engine

Anyone heard of this and have any idea how this may have happened
Highlighted
Admiral

Re: G2 con rod destroys my engine

A broken rod is a super rare occurrence. We are sorry to hear of your new motor's problem.

What did your dealer say was the cause?

Often a thrown rod comes from water ingestion, such as flushing the motor with the motor tilted up or a motor that was submerged or covered by a wave. Another cause could be a bad casting or even a bearing failure.  The motor may have to be taken apart to find the root cause.

We are sure that your dealer will be getting you back on the water as soon as possible.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Yeah the dealer said after such a catastrophic event it may be impossible to tell the cause and more damage happens as the motor dies . It pinched a hole through the block .

I regularly flush the engine and read that motor needs to be down to drain for long enough before tilting up again
Captain

Given - Con Rod Damage:  Often a thrown rod comes from water ingestion, such as flushing the motor with the motor tilted up or a motor that was submerged or covered by a wave. 

Ouch, sorry to hear that! 

I actually had that happen to me on my old OMC V6 225hp and my Dealer took it apart and assessed it was from water ingestion from a hard emergency stop I once had to do (luckily reported to local LE). No questions with my marine insurance company either (Boat-US) they paid out in a few days.

Good luck to you!

Skipper

What kind of "emergency stop" could cause water to get into a cylinder and throw a rod?

Captain

Skipper

Are you saying that pulling the throttle back quickly "might" cause the prop to rotate backwards causing the water pump impeller to change directions and somehow pump water into a cylinder?

Or-

Do you have to go from fast to reverse to cause this to happen?

I can possibly see water being forced up the exhaust but where does water from the impeller ever have the ability to gain access to a cylinder?

Admiral

@ktdtx wrote:

Are you saying that pulling the throttle back quickly "might" cause the prop to rotate backwards causing the water pump impeller to change directions and somehow pump water into a cylinder?

Or-

Do you have to go from fast to reverse to cause this to happen?

I can possibly see water being forced up the exhaust but where does water from the impeller ever have the ability to gain access to a cylinder?

No, if your motor is running, unless it becomes fully submerged and the motor quits, it will not hydro lock.

If your motor is not running but rotating backwards from being in reverse while the forward motion of the boat is turning the prop, it will NOT hydro lock as the exhaust is always blowing outward, unlike a 4-stroke.

The impeller has nothing to do with the water getting into the cylinders. 

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thanks

So this type event only occurs when motor NOT running and motor becomes submerged and water gets forced up the exhaust into a cylinder and then you try to restart the motor.

Captain

All outboard engines have their cooling system water go out through the exhaust system, so on a four stroke water in the exhaust system can be sucked into a cylinder.
As Bill said, that cannot happen on a two stroke. Water can only get into the cylinders if it comes in the air intake at the top of the engine cover.