Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

G2 quick release flush kit - irresponsible, inept engineering

[ Edited ]

20180403_081522.jpgFragile is the only way to describe it - a very poor show from Evinrude. 

Clipped in the garden hose, walked away, then a minute later the female connector blows off the end of the flush kit. Cannot now run the boat without a replacement.

Why would a 'reputable' manufacturer design and produce a part that is so evidently not 'fit for purpose'?

The rubber hose which forms part of the flush kit is strong and robust, yet the connector mounted into the hose is only 2mm thin brittle plastic (delicate and fragile). Everything on a boat must be strong and robust, but not this - a part you handle every time you use the boat.

Its irresponsible and inept engineering. 

Evinrude has proven to be an impenetrable company, making it impossible to speak to anyone with genuine responsibility or insight. A replacement part is not enough - it needs to be better engineered.

This issue, and others, fill me with foreboding about my future with this engine.

20180402_223131.jpg20180402_223159.jpg

Admiral

Re: G2 quick release flush kit - irresponsible, inept engineering

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience that you have encountered with the flushing attachment.

I am forwarding your concerns to the appropriate department.   Can I get the engine serial number and the name of your dealer, please?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

[ Edited ]

E300XUAGF / 5500244

Local dealer has a flushing kit in stock therefore I will purchase today and replace part so as to not end our Easter vacation a week early. I hope this cost will either be waived or refunded. My wasted vacation day cannot be replaced.

My complaint generally is about the design and engineering in the first instance. If weak thinking has been deployed here, what about other yet to be discovered flaws. The engine runs very, very noisy as compared to the competition; it bounces left to right in 800-2000 rpm range; we've already had an oil leak (steering fluid); no 'night' mode for ICON display (forced to change configuration settings to adjust). It worries me.

It frustates me that the only way one can communicate with Evinrude direct, as opposed to BRP in Quebec City, is this social media platform.

For example, I have fundamental issue with what I was 'sold' this past December, however the customer support team, based at BRP in Quebec City, are not mandated to address the matter and send me back to the dealer. The dealer says he cannot get this resolved thru his channels, thus the customer is left in limbo and forced to make noise on social media to get a response. A nice t-shirt and ball cap, nor a pretty 'Evinrude Club' membership card, make up for the absence of a genuine customer centric service approach. If I could take this discussion 'off-line' and speak with an Evinrude representative with authority, I would. Perhaps you could facilitate this?

I'm a new owner and already beginning to regret my choice against other options in the market. It would be good if my faith was restored.

Captain

@rdblack wrote:

E300XUAGF / 5500244

Local dealer has a flushing kit in stock therefore I will purchase today and replace part so as to not end our Easter vacation a week early. I hope this cost will either be waived or refunded. My wasted vacation day cannot be replaced.

My complaint generally is about the design and engineering in the first instance. If weak thinking has been deployed here, what about other yet to be discovered flaws. The engine runs very, very noisy as compared to the competition; it bounces left to right in 800-2000 rpm range; we've already had an oil leak (steering fluid); no 'night' mode for ICON display (forced to change configuration settings to adjust). It worries me.

It frustates me that the only platform whereby one can communicate with Evinrude direct, as opposed to BRP in Quebec City, is this social media platform. The constant retort is "speak to the dealer", yet when the dealer cannot resolve an important issue, the customer is left in limbo.

For example, I have fundamental issue with what I was 'sold' this past December, however the customer support team, based at BRP in Quebec City, are not mandated to address the matter and send me back to the dealer. The dealer says he cannot get this resolved thru his channels, thus the customer is left in limbo and forced to make noise on social media to get a response. A nice t-shirt and ball cap, nor a pretty 'Evinrude Club' membership card, make up for the absence of a genuine customer centric service approach. If I could take this discussion 'off-line' and speak with an Evinrude representative with authority, I would. Perhaps you could facilitate this?

I'm a new owner and already beginning to regret my choice against other options in the market. It would be good if my faith was restored.

There is another avenue to try if desired.

brp.care@brp.com

I've never used it but my understanding is they deal with customer concerns.

Admiral

the broken piece is part # 359286 and the correct clamp in not a worm-gear type but an Oetiker clamp #346786 that comes with the flush kit.

Temporarily you can use the original hose plug that came with the engine to block off the flushing hose so you can use the boat or insert a bolt, rod, or dowel of the correct diameter and double clamp for security.

You can also contact your dealer to start a case number about your situation and you may contact Evinrude customer service at  http://www.brp.com/en/forms/contact-us.html

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Thank you.

But why is Evinrund affraid to speak directly with customers?