Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

Gear case oil maintenance

I have a 2012 115 hp etec.  I had the 3 hr maintenance done in April 2015.  The motor had 62 hours on it in April. 

My question,

Does the motor require a yearly maintenance...for example, changing the gear case oil

OR is the motor good for another 3 years without maintenance?

Thanks,

Capt George

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: Gear case oil maintenance

In normal use the gear oil maintenance schedule is 300 hours or 3 years, whichever comes first. You are welcome to change it annually if you wish. If you run the motor commercially, operate at high speeds, or push heavy loads, it is best to shorten the factory service intervals. 

It is always a good idea to lube and inspect your motor once a year, at least, especially if used in salt water. 

Read your operator's guide. If you do not have one you can download a free copy from www.operatorsguide.brp.com/

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

I have a 2013 e-tech 150 with about 160 hours on it. I'm in the northeast and run in shallow, salt water and often kick up sand/mud so I want to change the lower unit oil annually.  Owners manual doesn't have any instructions on that -- how can I get the details?  I could take it in for service but would rather do it myself if it's not too complicated.  Guessing it's just a matter of loosening a drain plug and re-filling?

Highlighted
Admiral

Hi Squam,

BRP Evinrude has heard you and already has a video that should help you understand  how to drain and replace the lower unit oil.

LOWER UNIT OIL CHANGE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YVlBtOzLYRE

You mentioned running in the shallows kicking up mud and sand. Those items are very abrasive to a rubber water pump impeller and it would be prudent to inspect the water pump at least annually because of your operating environment.

That is a more mechanically challenging than routine maintenance and may be best left to a professional. If you decide that you have the knowledge and skills to do it yourself, be sure to obtain the complete factory water pump kit, the required lubes and sealers, plus a factory service manual for reference and specifications. The movable shift rod adjustment is easily disturbed during removal  and that is important to proper shifting and long gear life.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

Thanks Bill,

Your suggestions are very helpful as usual.  I plan to change the gear case oil to start the season, then have the water pump done by a mechanic mid season when the shop isn't so busy. I figure there's no harm in changing the lower unit oil more frequently.  

Highlighted
Captain

Hey Squam,
Just as a FYI. I've read a number of times to change gear oil before putting up for the winter. If there was any water that made it into the gear case since the last change, it could freeze, expand and possibly damage lower gear case. Just saying.
Highlighted
Captain

What Jersymike said. Changeing the lower end fluid is part on my end of year winterizing process.