Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

Generator using same fuel line as E-tec 150

I have a Honda 2000 generator that I run on my swim platform for air cond. It would be nice to have the generator pull fuel from the boats main tank. I have the extended run fuel cap for the generator and that works fine when hooked up to my 6 gallon gas can. So instead of using the can, is it possible to put a "T" in my fuel line going to the e-tec without runnung into a problem with the outboard? Fuel line is 3/8" and fuel tank is 180 gallon aluminum. Length of line from tank to motor, 16' with a 3' max lift. Would I need a one way check valve in the line from "T" to the generator? I would be running the generator at anchor and also when the e-tec is also running. E-tec model E150DPXAB

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: Generator using same fuel line as E-tec 150

[ Edited ]

Do not use a tee fitting or a port on a boat mounted fuel filter to operate a second engine. Never run 2 motors on the same fuel line.  Use a separate tank pickup fitting or install an adequate fuel selector valve.

Running a portable generator on a swim platform is not a recommended or a safe procedure. It could be a very dangerous situation,  possibly causing fires or carbon monoxide poisoning.

I am guessing that the generator is also not marine approved and does not carry a Coast Guard acceptance label. Is that correct?

From American Boat and Yacht Council
The ABYC really discourages the use of these [portable] generators in on-board applications for two very important reasons. The first reason is electrical. The ABYC requires that for 120-volt AC systems, the neutral conductor and grounding conductor be joined at the source of power (the generator in this case) so that in the event of an electrical short circuit at an appliance, the fault current will get carried directly back to the power source and trip a breaker. Portable generators often keep the neutral and grounding conductors isolated from one another on the device. This is internal to the unit and not easily modified.

The second reason to discourage use of portable generators on boats is the high risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. Most of these units run on gasoline, and the generators often get mounted in locations that can trap exhaust gas and create a deadly situation for the people on board.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

I certinaly cannot disagree with all the safe precautions listed above. Now considering that the Etec 300 also runs on a 3/8" fuel line, logic would say that the ,2 gph or less that your Honda 2000 might burn would not be too much for a single 3/8" fuel line. Do not T into the fuel line, use a boat mounted filter which has 2 outlets on it. I've been running a Yamaha 2400 set up this way with my Etec 75 for 4 years.
Highlighted
Admiral

No engine manufacturer recommends splitting a single fuel line to multiple motors.

There is also a chance of sucking air into the system from the non-running engine which would not only affect fuel flow but could cause the other motor to run lean and sustain internal damage.

Evinrude spells that out in their Pre-delivery and Installation manual and in training classes.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.