Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

Getting ready for winter

Hi,

After my first summer with my Etec 115, it's time to winterize it. I will follow the winterizing instructions in the manual (looks easy). Does anybody have any recommendatios or tips to get the motor ready for winter. I live in Canada with hard winters. My boat and motor will be under a car shelter with the travelling tarp. Do I leave the prop on or take it off for the winter? How about the battery, leave it in the boat or disconect it and take it inside?

Thanks in advance.

Marc
Highlighted
Admiral

Re: Getting ready for winter

Take battery inside and charge it up. make sure the fuel is stabilized with something such as 2+4, lube prop shaft and fittings but you can leave prop on unless someone may steal it.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

Re: Getting ready for winter

Drain and replace the lower unit lube. Prevents freeze damage if there is any water inside.

Let motor in vertical position so all water drains out of the motor after running the winterize on the hose. Prevents freeze damage.