Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Got my Boat back today. and new preventive setup

IMG_5418.JPGIMG_5417.JPGSo my 25hp had another VST put in so here is what my new preventive system is going to be since i dont get to use my boat evry weekend , I seen online some guys are (POLISHING ) there fuel so im going to be doing this , I bought 91 E FREE gas today the guy has it in 55 gallon drums for dirtbikes and other stuff drums are sealed under  a carport i decided to run the new gas thru the polishing and in just 5 gallons got water , i ran it thru twice and got solid clear fuel added a 200;1 XD/50 mix so hopefully the xtra measures help keep me out of the reair shop, here some pic of my setup.

Captain

Re: Got my Boat back today. and new preventive setup

@PugGuy wrote:

IMG_5418.JPGIMG_5417.JPGSo my 25hp had another VST put in so here is what my new preventive system is going to be since i dont get to use my boat evry weekend , I seen online some guys are (POLISHING ) there fuel so im going to be doing this , I bought 91 E FREE gas today the guy has it in 55 gallon drums for dirtbikes and other stuff drums are sealed under  a carport i decided to run the new gas thru the polishing and in just 5 gallons got water , i ran it thru twice and got solid clear fuel added a 200;1 XD/50 mix so hopefully the xtra measures help keep me out of the reair shop, here some pic of my setup.

I would add stabilizer to that fuel if it's going to be sitting under your porch.

Captain

[ Edited ]

Great idea... Sure can't hurt.  That's pretty sad to see that amount of water in the fuel you are buying... Should take that info / water back to the place / guy you purchased your fuel and ask them what's up!

So if I understand correctly, you are buying your fuel from a person and not a gas station?  Is that because you can't get ethanol free fuel at a station?

And I agree that you should add 2+4 stabilizer immediately (if you are not).  

Smiley Happy

Skipper

The place is a motorcycle shop  thats sells it mostly for dirtbikes and motorcycles he gets about 7 55 gallon drums branded sunoco  there is 1 other place near me that has 91 at the pump  doesnt list a berand tho i will try him next time , i always add the 2+4 since day 1 i bought the motor 

Highlighted
Skipper

it only takes about 10 min to run it thru the setup which is fine 10 min to avoid some headackes is worth it , 

Captain

@PugGuy wrote:

The place is a motorcycle shop  thats sells it mostly for dirtbikes and motorcycles he gets about 7 55 gallon drums branded sunoco  there is 1 other place near me that has 91 at the pump  doesnt list a berand tho i will try him next time , i always add the 2+4 since day 1 i bought the motor 

To be clear, I meant adding stabilizer to the 55 gallon drums. That fuel will degrade just sitting here.

Admiral

To double check, the next time you get fuel, check it for alcohol just to be sure. If it does have alcohol and it phase separates into water at the bottom of the filter, the remaining fuel would have a lower octane rating which could put it below the 87 octane requirement.

You can Google gas-ethanol testing or find a test kit like the one Briggs and Stratton sells for less than $10 from a small-engine shop or online.

Check your gas caps also for good sealing. Rain water, wave water, or wash water could be a culprit also.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

PugGuy, being that I am not familiar with your engine or boat set up, can you tell me if you have a fuel/water filter on the engine and also a remote fuel/water filter on your transom?  Thanks.

Skipper

alyaz i have 25hp etec right know i only have the fuel filter thats on the motor itself , i will be putting a waterfuel seperator on the boat this week , .

Skipper

Muskimouth , i will have to ask to guy next time im there if he addes anything when he opens the drum or if the come with any type of stabilizer from were he orders his fuel from.