Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

Help

Good morning I have a E115DSLAFF Serial# 05430818 and Last year when I would be trolling at a slow speed the over temp light would come on and after I would slow down it would go out. I had to go faster to keep this from happening. I greased the fitting on the lower unit as per this site but this happened again this weekend. This motor is a great motor and a work horse. This is the only thing that I can't figure out. Any help would be good.

Thanks in advance.

Captain

Re: Help

Sounds like thermostats not openning properly. When you speed up there is a presure relief valve that controls the cooling. This is what it sounds like to me.

Admiral

An overheating problem can be caused by any number of items. 

You should have your dealer check the water pressures at various speeds and compare them to the service specifications. Thermostats, the pressure relief valve, and the water pump condition all play a part in a properly running engine. In some cases, changing a pressure relief spring has taken care of the problem after determining the water pump impeller, cup, and housing are in good shape.

Talk with your dealer and ask them to water test the motor.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Thanks,

I,m going to the gulf this weekend and weill look at the RPMS when this happens then will talk to the dealer.

Again LOVE this motor