Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Honesty, it’s hardly ever heard and mostly what I need from you.

Thank you, Billy Joel, Smiley Very Happy

This is a strait forward face value question and I’m hoping for a strait forward “honest” answer. Based on your experience as an E-TEC owner, if buying a new boat today or repowering a boat today would you get another E-TEC or something else?  Given the fact that this is an E-NATION forum I understand that some may be reluctant to answer this question if they would opt for something other than the E-TEC.

That being said, if you are reluctant to answer truthfully please don’t answer.  I believe the best way to obtain info about the E-TEC outboard is to ask owners this bottom-line question.  Thank you I do appreciate peoples time and honesty.

Captain

Re: Honesty, it’s hardly ever heard and mostly what I need from you.

As an Etec owner I purchased a 75 in 2011. 1500 hours over 5 years, great power and gas mileage, only repair was on tilt/trim relay. Replaced it in 2016 with a pontoon series 90 for the additional horsepower. 300 hours in 3 years of put gas and oil in once in awhile, and enjoy start and go performance. May consider replacing water pump and spark plugs in another 200 hours. So as an owner my Etecs have performed as expected.
Skipper

Thank you Rick,

Glad to here that you've had a good experience with your E-TEC  

Captain

There is multiple threads on happy owners. Myself with 1 year on a new motor I wouldn’t even consider a different mfg.

i  too was very apprehensive after all the horror stories. If you enjoy performance this is what you get. As you know people don’t always take care of their cars or outboards. IMO a lot of the issues stated here are fuel or rigging issues. Or simply lack of maintenance. Not necessarily Evinrude quality issues. Water in fuel, old fuel etc. as with any motor issues will arise. Yamahas break and have issues too.  Their service department are full of motors with issues. It boils down to how was the motor maintenance on the one your looking at. Fuel stabilizer, fogging the motor etc. did he baby it or forgot about behind the shed? 

Captain

2 year owner here of a 150hp G1 motor. Very pleased so far. I wish the new 1.9L 150 G2 was available when i was shopping. Oh well.
2017 Tidewater 1910 Baymax
Evinrude 150HO (M: E150HGXABH S/N: 05500627H MFDate: 6/17)
Skipper

No disrespect at all but, 130 view’s and only 3 would buy again or repower with an E-tec?   🤷‍♀️

Admiral

[ Edited ]

No disrespect but your original type of posts and that wording, no matter what the outcome you were looking for, never do well in any online newsgroup or forum for the same reason healthy people do not hang around a hospital emergency room or well-fed folks do not visit a soup kitchen.  Your "survey" is no different that asking leading questions or opinions in a political discussion website survey.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Most respectfully I will have to disagree sir,

This is “far” from a question on and or about politics or religion, it’s a “very simple” yes or no question.  A “leading questing” is a question posed within the framework or outlined to provoke a skewed answer as to favor the response to the inquirers perceived desired outcome, let me assure you that’s not the case here.  

As far as most people being more likely to “initiate” conversation be it verbally or via social media when they are dissatisfied with a product or service, as opposed to being satisfied I totally agree. However, it’s a “completed different” scenario when “someone else” initiates an inquire as to and individual’s satisfaction with a product.

Lets not make this anymore completed than it really is.  If someone asked me a simply question like “would you buy this product again or not” I would answer honestly, and I believe most others would do the same. In that same sense that honesty is paramount others if dissatisfied may choose not to answer for obvious reasons as I believe could be the case here.   

Captain

I believe Bills reply was not about the question but more about the group surveyed. Most owners that are satisfied with their Evinrude engines do not go onto forums or even know that E-Nation exists so even if there were a 100 percent response rate the survey results would be skewed.
Skipper

Thank Ricks,

I see where you’re going with this and I agree in part however, it only works if we are concluding that there are more dissatisfied owners on E-nation than satisfied ones, and this may very well be the case as given evidence by the lack of responses.