Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper
Accepted Solution

How Long Before Water Starts Spitting Out?

[ Edited ]

Just brought home my brand new Edge Marine 24' Sport OS powered by a 2015 ETec G2 250.  Can't wait to get out on the water.  Went out today to fire up the engine - yeah, just to hear it purr.  I hooked up the garden hose direct to the rear water intake - didn't use the muffs down below, fired up the engine and waited about 30 seconds.  Water drained out of lower intakes, but never started streaming out of the upper spit hole.  Of course, I wasn't going to chance burning out a new engine before even getting it out on the water, so I shut it off.  Tried again later, let it run 3-4 minutes and engine temp up to 125.  Still no "spit," so shut it off again. Any advice? Comments? How soon after starting engine should water start spitting out?

Thanks!

Captain

Re: How Long Before Water Starts Spitting Out?

The upper intake is for flushing the motor without running it after use. I was told that you can run motor at idle with hose connected to intake but you need to apply tape to holes on bottom of lower unit, but you still won't have water pissing out like your expecting. When hose is connected the pissing tube is covered by the hose end. The lower hole on water intake grommet is the exhaust only. Without the tape the water is just draining pass the water pump and coming out the lower unit. The motors lower unit needs to be submerged in water above water intakes in a barrel/ tank or flush bag inorder to run motor without damaging impeller.
I bought a big black tote at Lowe's and I use it during winterize procedure or to run motor for any period of time.
Yea, I was confused buy all this when I got mine in July.
Skipper

Thanks JerseyMike:

You were absolutely right.  I appropriated the stock tank from pasture (sorry, horses), filled it up and the engine spit like a champ. I'm sure this would have been covered in the owners manual, if it weren't sitting on the rigger's workbench at the marina where I bought it (on its way to me now). It also solves the mystery of guys talking about flushing their engines at moorage.  I kept puzzling about how they could possibly flush their engines while at the same time sucking in salt water, but with a passive flush system like you described, it makes sense now. Just tilt your engine enough to get it out of the water and flush away without running it. Nice.

OK, thanks for the solution!

Captain

Glad it all worked out for you. I know I was just as confused the day I tryed starting mine on my own. I called my dealer with worry something was wrong.
Happy New Year#
Admiral

[ Edited ]

GrooveDaddy,

It is the LOWER hole on the back of the motor that is threaded and used for flushing with a garden hose. The upper hole is the idle exhaust relief.  The lower cavity is also where the water  tell-tale is and there will be no water flow indication as the garden hose is flowing water up the water tell-tale tube as well as covering the outlet tube.

If you threaded the garden hose into the lower hole then you flushed the motor properly.

If you forced the hose into the UPPER hole -- the exhaust reilief hole -  and ran the motor, the rubber water pump is likely damaged and should be inspected as it was running dry.

Be sure the motor is tilted down or within its trim range when flushing. New operators guides  specify that as water could enter the cylinders in certain situations if the  motor was tilted up hiigh.  The motor should than be vertical to fully drain the block and cooling water passageways.

Enjoy your new motor, the G2s are not only revolutionary but they form a permanent smile onto your face after driving one.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thanks, BluewaterBill, and thanks for making this forum available. Very helpful!

Yes, I flushed through the lower of the two holes on the back of the engine. The guys at Y marina in Coos Bay, OR gave me a good tour of the engine before sending me home with it, so I at least knew that part. It's pretty awkward threading a 50 ft hose into a recessed plastic threading without stripping it, so I'm using a hose adapter (Home Depot), which makes it much easier.

Thanks again for the feedback!
Captain

Hey Grovedaddy,If you do some google about using a quick disconnect adapter, you'll find that they recommend cutting out the little tube in the center if the adapter and bore out the center a bit for better water flow. I did mine as suggested and I did get max flow through the adapter.
Skipper

Great idea, Jersey Mike. I'll give that a try.

Skipper

Be carefull. That water is actually the same water that is cooling the emm (computer) and the fuel (vapor separator). It also allows the Engine to vent off air in the block. If you choose to use flush adaptor, do not let it compromise water flow in any way.

Admiral

@Groovedaddy wrote:
Thanks, BluewaterBill, and thanks for making this forum available. Very helpful!

Evinrude is responsible for making this forum available to you and permits me to help out.

Are you aware of the motor mounted flushing hose under the front engine cover?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.