Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper
Accepted Solution

How much XD-100 should I buy for new 135 H.O.?

I checked the archives but I'm in a remote area and I'm wondering how many gallons of XD-100 I should buy for a new, 2015 135 H.O. this summer.

I know that oil usage varies widely depending on usage, RPMs, etc. Considering the oil tank is 1.8 gallons and I'll get a full tank of oil when I take delivery of the new boat, should I buy three gallons to start with?

In general, how much oil should I expect to use my first summer?

Just trying to plan (and buy) in advance because I can't just drive 5 minutes to the store and pick up more. Thank you!

Highlighted
Captain

Re: How much XD-100 should I buy for new 135 H.O.?

In theory one gal per hundred gallons of gas. So it depends on how often you use it, and hourly usage. So if you forecast fuel usage.
Highlighted
Skipper

Mountain man:

For what it is worth, I put 90 hours on a new 150 E-tec last summer.  went through 3 1/2 jugs last season.  Dropped significantly after break in period. 

Highlighted
Admiral

f you consumed 3.5 gallons last year, during breakin, and you expect the same amount and type of operation this year, then you should use just under 3 gallons.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Thanks for the replies. Not sure if I'll reach 90 hours this summer, but I will plan on buying three gallons and buy more in advance if it looks like I'll run low.
Highlighted
Skipper

In my first year with the same engine, I used 2.75 gallons of XD100 during 26.0 engine hours including the break-in period. Hope this helps.

Highlighted
Captain

I have used 4 gallons in 50 hours on my new 2014 150 hp e tec on my pontoon. I think it's a lot !!
Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

Mdhouston wrote:
I have used 4 gallons in 50 hours on my new 2014 150 hp e tec on my pontoon. I think it's a lot !!

Oil consumption is computer controlled depending on how hard the engine is working. If the motor is overpropped, runs at or close to full throttle a lot, is started and stopped often, and if accelerated many times such as when tubing or skiing, the oil usage will be higher than a steady run at cruising speed in smooth water.

When the motor is new, it will use more oil during the first 5 hours of running time above 2500 rpm. You cannot figure in the initial oil usage to get a nominal figure.

Start by filling both the oil tank and fuel tank to the top. Run the boat normally until the oil level alarm comes on - you will have plenty still available in tank. Keep track of all the gasoline consumed during that time and top off the tank. Refill the oil tank measuring carefully the amount of oil needed. From those figures you can get an average.

What is your top rpm and speed with the pontoon boat with just a light load on board?

What size, make, and model propeller is on the motor?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

My top RPM with a full tank of gas is 5700
I run a 15 pitch SS prop put on by dealer. Not sure of make or model. It is a 3 blade.
Highlighted
Captain

My top speed at 5700 RPM IS 34 mph on the GPS

I normally just cruise around 3600 RPM AT 18-20 MPH. have only pulled a tube once in the 50 hours I have ran pontoon