Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

Re: I COMMAND for older boat but E-TECH motor...have questions

The MWS (modular wiring system) is the name for the standard Evinrude engine to boat wiring harness. The horn referenced is the one driven by the system check tach. It will work as an audible warning so no need to hook one to the I-command. Do Not hook any other horn to the I-command as it may damage the gauge.
Purple (key on hot) wires are usually available in several places under the dash as well as black ground wires. Trim gauge and fuel gauge should both have them. Also on gauge lights blue is hot and black is ground.
Captain

I think I have all the info I need to do the job when I get ready...

Power for NMEA/ I COMMAND solid pruple wire at key switch, ground one of the black wires at key switch. 

Power for backlight on I Command use blue from speedomoter backlight as hot and black as ground.

The alarm hooks into my current system check tach alarm as specified by install instructions. 

I need a interface cable and a NMEA Starter kit. 

This has been an educational post that I have throughly enjoyed. Thanks you Rickmcd53 and Bluewater Bill.  

Captain

The Lowrance 124-69 network starter kit plus the Evinrude interface cable will give you what you need along with a few extra parts.
I do not like the idea of accessing power and ground using screw terminals on the back of your ignition switch. Those screws are very short and adding ring terminals under them is not a good practice. It is better to use studs on a gauge which have ample threads.
On the subject of the standard MWS harness, Javelin boats was an OMC company and we're factory wired for Johnson/Evinrude engines. It is very likely that instead of having the usual boat wiring for pumps, lights, etc. and a separate added engine wiring harness yours probably has it all incorporated into one harness. I've worked on a few Ranger boats and it can be overwhelming under a dash with 120 wires bundled together!
Captain

I know this thread is a couple months old but I just wanted to update it. I got everything installed and it worked perfrect. There is several functions that require an additional device to be hook up in order to read data. I knew this going in but my main goal was engine temperature and correct rpm. My system check tachomoter is off buy about 100 rpm at idle but as rpm increases it reads more accurate. At 5650 on my I COMMAND I was reading right at 5650 on my system check tachomoter. 

As for engine temperature...the weather today was upper 40's-low 50's with water temperature being 43*. I let it idle for several minutes and if my memory is correct it stayed around 166* once it got warmed up. When on plane it would get into the low 180's. I did not run long because my only reason on the lake was to verify if my gague install was correct. I only fish about 1 hour and went back home. 

I went through the pages and removed all pages that I could not display data because I did not have a device hooked to read the data. If my memory is correct I customized my pages to display RPM,Engine temp, Hours, Diagnostics,Vlotage and Charging amps. There might be more but thats all I can remember.

Anyways my only questions are ...What is the proper idle temperature when the motor is fully warmed up? What is the proper temperature when running on plane at 3/4 to full throttle?  

Captain

I left off information tha might be needed to answer my questions...My motor is a E150HSLAAB. which is a E-TECH 150 HO manfactured in 2013. 

Admiral

You will see temps in those ranges on many engines, usually around 1800 rpm and again near the upper part of the rpm range.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Admiral

The idle temperatures are right where they should be also.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

JR19, we appreciate you posting a follow up reporting successful results.

As Bill said, your temperatures are where they should be.
Captain

thanks Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Captain

I know this is a horrible picture but here she is...[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/2jev1bc.jpg[/IMG]