Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

I COMMAND for older boat but E-TECH motor...have questions

Motor...Evinrude E-TECH 150 HO...E150HSLAAB

Boat...1999 Javelin Renegade 19 bass boat. All my controls and gauges are factory 1999. I did repower with an E-TECH in 2014 but I think my motor was actually manufactured in 2013. I bought it new in the crate but it was a leftover year model.

I have acquired an I-COMMAND gauge. I have no paperwork just the gauge. The person I got if from told me it would work on my E-TECH but I would need to buy additional wiring harness(s) and connector(s) but they were unsure of exactly what I need. Anyways I plan on removing my speedometer and placing the gauge in that hole because it is a perfect fit. The speedometer was not hooked up when I re-powered because I use GPS for speed.

I know I will need something to go from the motor to the gauge but I was told I might need additional stuff for NEMA. My I COMMAND gauge has two cables/wires coming from the back. One cable has 4 small wires, black,white,blue and yellow. The other cable has what I think is NEMA wires. It has a T with red connections on the ends. The main part of the T goes to the gauge. One end of the T has a red connector that appears to be a plug with the number 120 on it. The other end of the T is a red male connection that has nothing plugged into it. If I need to provide more information please let me know.

I found an post here in this forum where someone had a similar situation and someone posted what part numbers they needed. I was hoping to find out what I need and also seek a little install advice. I am no boat mechanic but I do have some basic electrical experience.

Admiral

Re: I COMMAND for older boat but E-TECH motor...have questions

These links should give you a good start.

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/NMEA2000.html

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/BRP/I-CommandSupplementRev.pdf

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/BRP/ICommandInstallation2010.pdf

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Admiral

Depending on how old the I-Command gauge is, it may need a software update that your dealer can easily do once it is installed and working.

Here is the link to the operator's guide

http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/OperatorsGuidesAttachments/OwnersManuals_EJ/attach/Accessories/35...

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Thank you very much. The links you posted were excellent help. I knew nothing about NMEA or a NMEA network until reading through the links. I kinda skim through them and took some notes but I plan on going back to them and reading more thorughly. Although they answerd several question I had it did open up a couple new ones. I will save them for a later post because I might find my answer when I go back and read deeper into the links...Thanks a bunch Smiley Happy

Captain

I took the time to read through all the links and I think I have a good understanding now. I knew the I COMMAND was capable of monitoring a lot of stuff but until I read through the book I did not realize how much it is capable of doing. My main goal was to have a gauge to monitor engine temperature as well as an accurate RPM reading and engine hours. As for now I don't plan on adding any sensors to the network but the water pressure data is appealing.

The way I understand it I need a Interface cable,NMEA starter kit and a toggle switch. I removed the cowl to my motor and located the NMEA plug and figured out a way to route the wire. I think I am ready to tackle this but I am going to wait about 6 weeks or so for various reasons. Starting Black Friday until Christmas my job requires me to work a lot of overtime. The company I work for will fill billions of orders in the next few weeks. Plus I have two tournaments left on the fall/winter circuit I fish and I don't want to accidentally mess up something and be without a boat so I am going to wait until the first of the year to install my I COMMAND.

Right now I can only think of a couple questions...

1. When it says the yellow and blue wire from the I COMMAND gauge needs to be hooked to a horn, there is no mention of adding a horn or a horn part number so I assume it can be hooked into the existing horn I already have on my boat ?

2. When searching for parts and looking at the pictures on the links posted I notice the T connectors have red ends. My I COMMAND gauge has red ends. The starter kit I found says it's for Lowrance or Evinrude but the T has black ends. I read where Lowrance is actually the manufacturer who makes NMEA stuff for Evinrude but yet they have black connectors. Will black connectors hook to red connectors?

The reason I ask about #2 is because a NMEA starter kit contains several things. It actually has more than I need. If I have to I can buy an extension cable, T and resistor with red ends to get from my battery to my dash panel but it's less expensive to buy the starter kit with black connectors, hence I need to know if black will connect to red?

As previously mentioned I plan on doing this around the first of the year so don't be surprised if I revisit this thread with more questions...thanks in advance for the help Bluewater Bill Smiley Happy

Captain

The red and black connectors are the same.
Originally Lowrance had a non standard blue connector, around 2007 they switched to the NMEA standard connector and used red ends to easily identify the connector type.

The warning horn/buzzer would be the same as the one currently connected to your systems MWS harness. If an I-command was originally installed Evinrude had a specific wiring harness that only had ignition wires, tilt/trim wires, and a purple/black lead to power the gauge. The regular MWS harness has additional wires for the System Check gauge, horn, trim gauge, and standard tach (purple, black, grey). You can use the purple and black out of that to power the I-command gauge. Switch the warning horn to the two wires from the gauge, leave your current trim gauge connected, and then tape over the 8 pin system check connector as it will be unused.
You can leave your current system check tach and warning horn connected as is if you are going to run both gauges.
Captain

Most of the wiring diagrams show the network power node connected to the battery, your boat harness most likely has a power and ground wire running to the dash/console so you can connect the power node there ( no toggle switch is needed).
Admiral

Rick wrote:

Most of the wiring diagrams show the network power node connected to the battery, your boat harness most likely has a power and ground wire running to the dash/console so you can connect the power node there ( no toggle switch is needed)

That is correct, you do not need a toggle switch as you can connect the network power leads to the purple and black extra wires that are at the end of your wiring harness from the engine. The network would then turn on and off with the key switch.

Captain

It's good to know the black and red connectors are compatible because that will save me a few $.

I had thought about getting power from my accessory switch but it as well as my master power are pretty much full. I already have to open my bilge lid to turn on other things. I have a disconnect near my battery in my bilge for my Minn Kota Talons, plus a toggle switch for my Humminbird 997. Fornatunely my rig is very easy to run wires from the battery to the console. The space from the battery to the console has a huge hole that only requires a short fish tape so adding another toggle switch won't be an issue for me. I do however appreciate your suggestion of getting power at the dash.

Please forgive my ignorance but I do not know what the acronym MWS stands for. When you refer to a warning horn on my MWS harness the only thing I can think of would be my system check tach alarm. I have a system check tach alarm and I have no idea where the buzzer is. When it goes off it sounds like it is coming directly from the gauge. Then I have an alarm that is a push button alarm. It's something I would describe as being like a car horn alarm. It's mounted right under the console and the wires are super easy to access. I was hoping I could use this for my alarm. I also have 3 GPS units that have internal beep alarms but they will not be connected in any way to the I COMMAND network.

Now that I think about it the installation instructions said the four wires coming from the cable/harness are two for backlight power and two for the alarm. It says the backlight wires are optional. Even though it does not say it I would think the alarm is optional. The I COMMAND is going to work via the NMEA network. The I COMMAND should still monitor my system but in the event something happened there would be no audible alarm if i did not hook the wires up. In the event something did go wrong my system check tach, which is on another system will sound. It would be like I never even had the I COMMAND gauge. I know it may sound foolish not to hook it up but in "theory" it is optional in my particular situation...correct? I was hoping to hook it to my boat alarm because it has easy access. I have no idea what MWS stands for so I don't know what alarm is inside a MWS. This has been and educational post for me so thanks for teaching me things...Smiley Happy

Captain

I now realize I have been overthinking getting power to NMEA and the I COMMAND gauge. I now understand why a toggle is not needed and why it only needs power when the ignition key is on. NEMA powers the I COMMAND gauge. If I wire power to NEMA via a toggle switch and the switch is on it will be sending power to my I COMMAND even when the key and motor is off. Picking up hot at the ignition switch ensures its only powered up when the key is on. I realized this buy watching some youtube videos of the gauge in action. I noticed an I COMMAND gauge has no power button. I looked at mine and sure enough there is no power button so it only needs to be powered when the key is on.

I went out and crawled around under my dash some today. I managed to find my system check tach alarm buy turning on my key and listening for the beep. It has the the red and black wire that I am suppose to tie the blue and yellow into just like the installation instructions called for. As for the backlight to the I COMMAND gauge I can get power to it via the backlight power wires from my analog speedometer that I am going to remove when I install my I COMMAND. One is black and the other is blue. When installing I will need to figure out which one is hot and which one is ground. I should be able to do this with a multimeter. Once the backlight is hooked up it will only be on when I turn on the dash panel lights because that is how it's currently wired. 

As for NEMA/I COMMAND power there is a solid purple wire attached to a post via a small screw that goes to my ignition switch. I know it is only hot when the key is on because this is the post I ran a wire to from my Talons because the Talon alarm only needs to be hot when the key is on. This same solid purple wire is what I should use to power my NMEA/I COMMAND...correct? As for ground at the ignition I have no idea which one to use. For a small switch it has a lot of wires going to it. I should have wrote down all the colors but I failed to. Off my memory it seems like there was purple (which I know is hot) purple with white stripe, black with yellow stripe and black with what looked like a white or possibly a grey stripe. I also recall a yellow wire but can't recall if it had a stripe...so I guess my question is what wire at the ignition key is ground?