Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

I-Command gauges not working

I would appreciate some help trouble shooting my I-command gauges. I have a 2007 Bluewater 2850 with 250 E-tecs. I have been very happy with the boat and engines. A few fishing trips ago, I noticed that my digital gauges were some times not updating (ex a change in engine speed would not result in an immediate rpm change on the gauges). Later, the display would go away completely. It would come back sometimes when the motor was turned off and back on; sometimes by itself. The last trip, the gauges all (3) went dark and I couldn't get them back. The engines run fine without the gauges, but I will not run them until I get the gauges fixed.
Each gauge has two cables, one to alarm buzzer and one with a multi-pin connector that are all connected together in a "T" configuration. I think there are six total cables connected. I don't know what they all do or where they go. I ran out of light last night... Since it appeared to be an intermittant electrical connection, I disconnected and reconnected all the connectors on the "T" with no luck. Has anyone seen this before? Any input will be greatly appeciated.

Admiral

Re: I-Command gauges not working

A loose connection could be the culprit, there are also T fittings in the back of the boat where the motors hook into the network. Use care when taking them apart and putting back together so as not to bend a pin. Inspect the T-fittings where they are screwed to a bulkhead, it is easy to distort or crack them if not fastened correctly.

If all looks good, talk to your dealer as there have been software updates for the gauges that may help the problem that you are having. Your dealer should have the bulletins, equipment, and know-how to that for you.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Re: I-Command gauges not working

OK thanks.  I will look for more connectors.  I did see one for water pressure in the back.  I assume the ones you are talking about are inside the motor cowling.  I'll give it a try.