Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

I'm swapping out a ficht

Just removed a 98 ficht 175 from my stratos 282. I put a 96 E 150 on it but noticed there are extra plugs on my ficht controls. Guess its to that ignition System. I plugged the usual connections in. The thing is I only have tilt working at the motor, not at the controls and not starting. Trying to see if I need to swap out the controls too, or if I can make these work. If anyone has dealt with this before I could use some advice. Thanks Dale in Va.
Admiral

Re: I'm swapping out a ficht

[ Edited ]

If your new engine is actually a 1996 model, then the 3 connectors from the boat should mate with the 3 on the engine.

Just to be sure, what is the model number on the 150?

Click on the following links for a wiring color chart of the boat's wiring harness and the 3 connectors that attach to either motor.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

This 150 has two connectors. One has three pins, the other has two. The 98 controls have both of those plus two six pin square plugs. One male and one female. I rechecked both motors. The bad one is 98 ficht johnson. The good one is 96 evinrude carbed. Thanks dale
Admiral

[ Edited ]

A 1996 150 has to have 3 connectors, 1 male and 1 female 6-pin connectors plus a triangular connector.   Also on the motor is a 2-pin connector -  brown and black wires - but that is for the oil tank low-oil alarm system.  Refer to the wiring diagrams that are linked in my previous response for the boat wiring harness that has to mate with your engine connectors.

It would be a good idea to post the whole model number on the 150 so we know exactly what motor you have as '96 was the first year of this new style wiring harnesses. 1995 and earlier models had a round red plug that connected to the boat's wiring.

Perhaps somebody cut and jury rigged the wiring on the '96 which in that case a trained tech would have to figure out and repair what had been butchered.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

This is a model......E150CELEDB. Thanks for your help. After i put this on the boat, I had to drive a ways to pick up my grandson. When I get home today I'm gonna remove the harness wires from the motor and look all around the powerhead. The other guy must have pushed the wire I'm missing down in there somewhere. After your reply I looked at controls for this engine and I see I should have three connectors.......Dale in Va.
Skipper

Also, I recall that there are the exact same six pin type plugs hooked together on the side of the powerhead. Could the other guy have plugged those up to keep them safe? If so, that would have all plugs working out.
Admiral

[ Edited ]

That is very possible. Double check the wiring colors with the links that I gave you earlier.

Here is the link to the factory's  Rigging Guide on how to correctly install an Evinrude outboard.

http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/OperatorsGuidesAttachments/OwnersManuals_EJ/attach/Accessories%5C...

Skipper

All is well. The two six pin plugs were under a plastic cover. They were not like that on the other motor. I wish I had looked a bit closer I might have noticed the loose screws the guy left unplugging from his boat.