Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

ICON Controls for 115?

Is there any plan to release an upgrade package for 115/130 motors for digital throttle ICON controls?

This motor is very popular for walleye boats and with it's factory idle setting, it's just too fast.  I have it mounted to a Sea Nymph GLS195 with a 16 pitch alum prop (started life at 15 pitch).  On smooth water I idle and 2.8mph GPS.  My old 140 looper that I replaced used to idle at 585 RPM (or about 1.8mph) with a 19 pitch prop.

Secondly, throttle control between 700 and 1000 RPM is almost impossible to achieve.  This is a critical area for walleye fishing.

I'd love either digital throttle or the ability to set the idle speed lower (mine idles at 710 rpm). 

Please let me know if anything can be done or is in the works.

2008 E115 (20" shaft)

Admiral

Re: ICON Controls for 115?

For now, ICON digital controls are available only for 150hp and larger motors.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

How about a software update that would allow a dealer to set the idle down within a range.  Factory spec is 650 +/-60 i believe...  Why couldn't the dealer be allowed to request an rpm of 590 or even 600?  710 is too high.

Admiral

Your idle rpm is governed by the EMM which I believe is around 500 rpm or so.

A lot of the time the propeller affects the sensitivity of the throttle. Give us boat, motor, rpm, and prop info with a normal load and we can tell if it is in the ballpark.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

1989 Sea Nymph GLS195 (1310 lbs empty hull weight)

24 gal fuel tank (full)

2 adults, 2 kids

2 batteries, 1 elec. trolling mtr

200 lbs of tackle, etc.

13.5 x 16 pitch prop (re-pitched standard 13.5 x 15 BRP aluminum)

~5850 RPM WOT

42.7MPH GPS

Mounted on 2nd hole down from the top.

2008 115 HP (20" Shaft)

I've tried both the 13.25 x 17 BRP Alum and my 15 pitch before repitching it.  Trolling speed was nearly identical, as was the idle speed at right around 700 + a little (2.6-2.8MPH on flat water).  I trim the motor to it's lowest position for trolling to slow the boat as much as possible.  

I really don't want to drill and add a trolling plate.

Skipper

The same setup with the 17 pitch produced ~5750 RPM @ 44.9 MPH.  I like the hole shot better for slalom sking - so sticking with the 16 pitch.

Admiral

Your motor should idle between 530 and 630 rpm. Your tach may be a bit off at that low speed or your throttle cable may be slightly out of adjustment keeping the rpm up. Ask your dealer to check it out for you.