Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Cl
Mate

ID a Model & year with missing plate

I recently purchased an outboard. It is supposed to be a 9.9, possibly a 1998. I am having Carburetor issues and I want to find the correct Model number so I can order parts. The plate on the side where the Model number should be says VOID. (look at picture)

On the other side there is a plate which states:

Engine family W1PXMDO1621D

Engine Conforms to Model Year 1998

Exhust emmission Control System EM

Engine Displacement 15.6

and a couple of other items (look at picture)

The freeze plug or Welch plug has only one number - not a Model number and Serial like other outboards that I have owned. The Number is G4383563

It is a thru hub exhust type prop.

I have included other pictures of the Motor.

Any help as to the correct Model would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

98 9.9 void.jpg98 9.9 cover2.jpg98 9.9 side.jpg98 9.9 front.jpg98 9.9 carb.jpg98 9.9 carb.jpg98 9.9 void.jpg98 9.9 freeze.jpg

Admiral

Re: ID a Model & year with missing plate

Best guess is that it is a 1998 as it had to be certified to meet the '98 emission regulations and the carb and other parts of that era.

Normally the VOID on the model and serial number tag is from someone trying to deface or remove the sticker.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Cl
Mate

Thank You. There are many model numbers for that year. I was trying to narrow it down from this list. Any help would be appreciated.

Admiral

Your motor would be a J10RECC if a short shaft or a J10RLECC if a long shaft.  All the other model numbers are for electric start, 4-stroke, sailboat, or built overseas even though most of the parts are the same for all the 2-stroke 9.9 engines.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Cl
Mate

Thank you Bluewater Bill.

That should give me enough info to move forward.

I currently own a couple of Evinrudes in addition to this motor and have owned other outboards, mostly OMC. I was always able to determine the Model # by the plate on the shaft and could verify by the freeze plug. This motor with what appears to be only a serial number on the freeze plug had me confused.

Just out of curiosity does anyone know if there is a list somewhere ( online, at the Dealer or at the Company) of the serial numbers which would coorespond to Year & Model?

Thanks again.

Admiral

OMC went out of business in December of 2000. Earlier records are almost impossible to access plus there is no list of serial numbers relating to years.

Bombardier bought some Johnson and Evinrude property and manufacturing rights from the Federal bankruptcy auction in 2001. Records for the 2002 and newer motors are easily accessed by serial number.

Skipper

[ Edited ]

20170710_105527.jpg I

Skipper

20170711_083933.jpg

Admiral

Everette86,

The model is E60TLCE - 1989 60HP