Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Captain
Accepted Solution

Icon touch 4.3 control head configuration issue!

Hi all,
When I received my repowered boat it comes fitted with the icon touch 4.3 display. The dealer did the 5 point fuel sender calibration for me which works fine.
However the fuel tank capacity was set on 9999.9 litres. My tank is 145 litres capacity.
After going into control head 1 configuration I click on 'fuel' then right arrow and adjust to 145 litres then right arrow again it defaults back out of the menu and shows 9999.9 litres again.
I mentioned this to the installer and he said there might be a problem with the ' gateway' which converts analog to digital signal. He said he would fix it for me.
After taking the boat back to have some other minor issues fixed, I noticed the fuel tank capacity now reads 120 litres. After trying to reconfigure to 145 litres it has the same issue by defaulting back to 120 litres. Also I noticed the estimated range is greyed out so clearly not active.
It still has the original gateway converter installed. Looked like he just went in there with the laptop and changed the capacity to 120 litres but still not working.
Any suggestions would be welcome. Cheers!
Captain

Re: Icon touch 4.3 control head configuration issue!

G2 engine, G2 binacle. No gateway module should be in the network. The dealer should rig your boat according to the diagrams in the rigging guide. Your fuel level input should be connected to the binacle control on the correct fluid level input.
I have never seen a gateway module but I think that was used with I-Command gauges on older engines.
Captain

Yes I am not sure what one looks like either. I did have a look at the wiring harness in the boat behind the binacle and I can see the 2 wires coming from the fuel sender ( black and red ) connected to the G2harness also black and red. There is a white and a blue wire that are cut and not used.
Those 4 wires then pass through some sort of device size of a cigarette lighter and then connect to the network backbone.
That device looks it's meant to be there as it is part of the G2 harness. There is a software version written on the side of it ( version 1.3.0).

As I mentioned earlier that the fuel tank calibration works ok. It's the capacity in litres that are n/W.
I was under the impression the way the estimated range works that once it know the tank capacity and fuel is being consumed as a percentage it knows how many litres are left ie converting percentage into litres and then using average fuel consumption to work out range.
Captain

You are talking about severa different problems.  One at a time - 

You state estimated range is grayed out.  Grayed out data parameters means that the data is not available or another parameter required to calculate the parameter is unavailable.  Do you have a GPS connected in your system?  Without vessel speed, the range remaining can't be calculated and that parameter should be grayed out.

Your description of the "cigarette lighter" sized device sounds like a Navico fluid level sender assembly to me.  Assuming that is what it is, I would want to know what instance the converter is set to.  Does the instrument show a valid fuel level?  Which of the possible positions on the display contain the fluid level bar?  That can identify the assigned instance.

I'd also ask how you have verified that the tank calibration has actually worked?  Perhaps it is still the default calibration?  The instrument fuel setup functions use NMEA 2000 messaging to perform the various functions.  If level calibrations are actually working, there should be no reason for capacity to fail.

Captain

Hi ElderSparky.
Yes I do have a GPS and everything works, speed,kpl, litres per hour etc. Only estimate range is not working.
Also the fuel tank 5 point calibration works fine. Eg. 145 litres shows full, 75 litres is half , 37l shows quarter etc.
However I can't adjust the fuel tank volume on the configuration menu. The dealer set it to 120 litres and I can't change that.
I am wondering if that is the problem why range is inactive.
Also I can confirm that that device is the navico fuel level sensor as U correctly stated. Could that have a bearing on the capacity not working?
Are there different types?
Captain

Thanks for the additional info.  That helps!  So if you have valid speed data, then the range calculation requires valid fuel flow data and valid level percentage and tank capacity data.  I'm going to guess capacity is the problematic parameter since you seem unable to configure it.

Can you tell me what instance the fuel tank is configured to?  The 4.3" instrument is caable of displaying up to 4 fuel tanks on the fuel screen.  The bar indicating level for your tank should be in the leftmost position on the screen.  This would represent instance 4 fluid level.  Would you please confirm that is where it is appearing?

Captain

Yes that is correct it is on the far left of the 4 bars shown. But it says tank 1 or CH1
Captain

Tank 1 correlates to instance 4 so that info all makes sense.  I need to do some more investigating as I don't have the answer at the moment.

Captain

Thank you . Much appreciate it!
Captain

Have you or can you set units to gallons rather than Liters to see if you can set tank capacity in gallons?
It's been awhile since I installed a 4.3" display so my memory isn't great on them