Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

Re: Icon touch 4.3 control head configuration issue!

By design, the 4.3" is capable of using either unit of measure.  One thing that hasn't been asked - what is firmware version of the instrument in question?  _02182019 is the latest revision level.

Captain

Thanks Rickmcd53.
I will try that when I get home later and let you know. Cheers!
Captain

Ok so i went into settings and set to gallons. Then went into configuration menu so it shows now 31.7 gallons fuel capacity instead of 120 litres. But when I try changing the capacity it's the same problem and reverts back to 31.7 gallons again.

I also noted if I try to reconfigure to "Oil" instead of "Fuel" it reverts back to fuel after exiting menu.
Captain

Going into system info.
Software version whole bottom line :
HV450_2810528_04022018
Sorry not sure if that's the firmware number.

I did ask the installer if it had the latest update and he said it has!
Captain

The tests you performed gives us a better idea of which setting can and can't be changed on you display.
As a bit of an explanation, as a tech when we connect the diagnostic program it will indicate if the gauge, engine, or control software is up to date based on the list of updates on our laptops. If I do not download updates to my laptop on a regular basis it may appear that the installed software is up to date.
Your current version 04022018 is 04/02/2018.
The current version was released on 02/18/2019. Elder would be the one to know what this update addressed.
Highlighted
Captain

Great thanks for the explanation. I will contact the installer and make him aware of that. Makes U wonder how they are an authorised Evinrude installer and not realise rhat they don't have the latest update on there laptop!
Captain

I have missed that my laptop software was not up to date several times. Similar to cell phone or Windows updates. I open the software to diagnose an engine and get the message to go online and check for updates and say to myself "I'll check this engine and check for updates later". Or we can turn automatic updates on and try to check an engine quickly only to get the message "downloading updates".
Captain

I now understand why you are seeing the responses you are reporting.  The instrument is performing in the fashion it was designed.  The problem arises in that your installation is not in an anticipated configuration.

I don't believe you have disclosed which model of the concealed side mount control is in use on your boat.  Based upon the method used to obtain fuel level (Navico insect), I believe you have the newer basic concealed side mount.  One difference between the basic and full-featured controls is the latter provides fluid level sender inputs which directly accept a resistive sender element.  The basic control does not offer fluid level sender inputs.

The 4.3" instrument is anticipating an instance 4 fluid level message from the control head.  As a result, the installed and configured as instance 4 Navico insect is not actually communicating with the instrument.  This is why you are not successful in altering the tank volume using the instrument.  In fact, none of the cal/config functions for this fluid instance will work via the instrument.  (Level calibration, fluid type, tank volume).

If you have the full featured control head, you should remove the Navico insect and connect the sender directly to the wire pair in the control head harness labeled fluid level 0 - tank 1.  Doing so will allow full control from the instrument.

If you indeed have the basic control head, you will need to have the Dealer alter your tank capacity using EvDiag 6 diagnostic tool.  This will then provide accurate data to the instrument but you will still be unable to change configuration with the instrument.

There may be a future firmware update for the instrument which will eliminate the problem you have experienced.  In the interim, EvDiag 6 will get your install providing the accurate data you are after.

Captain

Thank you for your reply. You are absolutely correct I do in fact have the basic concealed side mount fitted.
It came as a package with the 4.3 touch. So unfortunately I am stuck with it now. If I had given the choice to upgrade to a premium unit I probably would have since spending in the vicinity of 20 K anyway.

However if the dealer is able to alter the tank capacity to the correct volume that would be ok as once it's configured correctly there is no need to change it unless a bigger tank is required.

Do U think as a result of the dealer setting the volume correctly the estimated range will then be active?
Captain

I have duplicated your setup using an insect configured as instance 4 for fuel level data.  As long as there is SOG data from a GPS device and the EMM is reporting valid fuel flow data, the ECO page displays accurate estimated range information.