Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Identifying an old Evinrude challenge

Hi Guys

Can you help me identify the year and model of an old evinrude I have just bought with a mini speed boat

It is an evinrude 30hp. I am completely ne to outboards s o dont know where to begin. The only serail numebr I can see so far is 582508 22co-oa and it is near the spaark plugs.

I am trying to identify it so that I can track down a manual. The engine starts but slowly splutters to s stop after 5-10 seconds. I can rev the engine, but again as soon as I release teh throttle it cuts out. It is an old engine that I think is from teh early 90's. It does not have a choke, but instead has some kind of fuel pump where newer engines have their chokes. Teh guy I bought it off says that I need to pull and push this lever 3 times before starting teh engine. Is this some kind of primer?

Any help would be great

Cheers

Steve

Captain

Re: Identifying an old Evinrude challenge

The number you provided is the part number for an ignition coil. On the starboard side of the engine, between the ignitoin coils and the fuel pump, look to see if there is a welch plug. The plug is a convex shape, silver in color and about the size of a quarter. Normally, serial number and model number data is stamped into this plug. If the engin ehas one, it may help i.d. the outboard.

Thanks.

The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent BRP's positions, strategies or opinions.
Mate

Thanks for the reply. We think we have identified the engine now and fixed the issue of it cutting out all the time.

We now have a new issue. We took it out yesterday and it started great, and when we pushed the throttle the boat lifted off just great. we ran for a couple of miles until we wanted to stop. When we did, we pulled back on the throttle and as soon as the engine dropped back into neutral, it cut out.

I am no expert on engines at all, but I would have thought that if an engine starts well when cold, then runs for a couple of miles, it should not cut out when the engine is warm. If anything it should be hard to start, but once warm, it should idle really well.

Any ideas as to why this would happen?

Cheers

Smag

Mate

We spoke to the guy who we bought the boat off. He told us that the thing that looks like a choke is deffinately not a choke. He said we should only pull it a couple of times and no more. Any idea what this pull thing is? 

It is the only way we can get the engine to start, but am worried that it is causing issues long term. Each time it stops we have to pull this lever.

Cheers

Smag

Highlighted
Captain

It is probably a fuel primer. See the parts break-down below. Is this what you have?

They typically have two positions; when pulled out fully, it squirts a bit of fuel into the intake manifold to aid starting. When pulled to the first position (red ring identifies this position), it flows additional fuel to help the engine warm up.

If you have to pull this thing everytime you start the engine, I would suspect a fuel system problem. Maybe a hose has an air leak, maybe the carb need to be rebuilt, or??

Primer.png

The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent BRP's positions, strategies or opinions.
Mate

That is exactly the thing we have.

We will have to look at the fuel system again. It just seems strange that is starts well from cold (using the lever thing), then runs well at speed, then quits when you drop it down to idle when the engine is warm.

Cheers

Smag