Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Captain
Accepted Solution

Idle mixture screw question

How high up the rpm range do the idle mixture screws have an effect? J200TXEAU, 6 carbs. I've got them set at 6 turns, idle timing is 4 degrees atdc, rpm in 600 in gear. There is some roughness, but maybe these motors idle like Harleys. At the dock, I can feel and hear a misfire (sneezing?) at about 2000rpm. I'll test it on the water tomorrow if this wind ies a bit, but I don't want to waste my time with ajusting the mixture screws if they have no effect. Thanks for any advice. Haven't gotten my temp gun yet, and  decarb is on the to do list also. 

Admiral

Re: Idle mixture screw question

Sneezing is from running too lean. If it does it at 2000 and not at idle, there may be restrictions in the carb midrange circuit, wrong air bleed jets for the mid-range, or the synchronization out of adjustment.  Is the throttle cam roller outer sleeve broken off? Post a picture or compare diameters with a new one.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

I will check that follower and post a picture. Went out today and all my work has improved things a lot. My only complaint is the idle to 2000 range which has the sneeze/misfire/roughness. Maybe an air leak, or better job with the mixture screws, or needing a  smaller idle oriice. Thanks for the help, I'm getting there.

I'd like to check the advance at 5500 rpm; anybody know of a test wheel that I can borrow or rent?

Captain

Bill, you were correct that the cam follower was broken, so I replaced it. I didn't get the idle speed set up properly, so although things seemed better leaving the dock, we ended up limping home and stalling while docking. A quick adjustment brought my idle back to normal with the timing about 4 ATDC. Looks like I need to spend more time with it. I'll see how it is today. Thanks for your help so far. 

Captain

Did a better link and sync today, much improved idle and low speed. Still some roughness below 2000, but I can live with it. Not going to be a sewing machine like a new outboard.
Admiral

What is the top rpm trimmed out for best speed with a normal load of people, fuel, and gear aboard?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.