Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

Idle timing for 200hp 200TXEUA

My factory manual calls for idle rpm at 650 while underway, and timing of 4 ATDC. Can I check the timing at the dock, because underway would be difficult if not dangerous. And is it more important to check the timing or the rpm? I'm thinking that if the idle timing is correct, the rpm may vary a bit while I dial in the idle mixture. I'm going to go through the sequence for setting up the carb sync, starting with static timing to index the timing pointer, carb butterfly linkage, cam follower, etc. The carbs were given a cleaning and new kits, idle speed screws are set to 5 turns. Hopefully when I fire it up the darn thing at least runs enough to adjust the mixture. Am I missing anything, or were there any changes made in service bulletins that are different from the original service manual?

Admiral

Re: Idle timing for 200hp 200TXEUA

On your 1997 engine, your timing is your idle rpm setting. If the motor is in good shape, it will idle about 650-750 in gear at somewhere close to 4-6° ATDC.  If it doesn't, then there is something not quite right. On an older motor like yours, it may be best to start with a decarbonizing and a cylinder head temperature check for 125-145° or so. Carb screw adjustment is in the 5-1/2 to 6-1/5 turns open. In some cases a bit more. Study the manual for proper carb throttle plate and linkage synchronization and the condition of the recirculation system.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

So, you're recommending a little richer than the manual to start. Is this from experience (which I value highly)? This adjustment has me a little nervous, doing one carb at a time to find the smoothest idle. I plan on setting the idle to 4ATDC and adjusting mixture for the smoothest idle. Good plan? I've replaced all the recirculation check valves and the hoses are good. Also, the primer solenoid valve is good, no extra fuel getting into the intake manifold. Once I have a good idle mixture, I can adjust the idle timing a little for the right idle rpm.
Admiral

Decarbon and check idle temps first.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

Will do. I'll start at 5 1/2 turns and hope it runs well enough that I can decarbon and check temps. I replaced the thermostats and blow off  valve. Another interesting find. The rubber seal inside the blow off valve was missing, so probably the valve was open most of the time. It was also leaking around the housing, because the seal also acts as a gasket. So, off to get an IR gun.