Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

Ignition key

The keys that came with my 135 ho with a top mount binnacle need a replacement. The oem keys are a joke. They look and feel like something from a a play toy. These keys (  oem ) are made from aluminum and bend or break very easy if you bump them . Does anyone know if the keys can be duplicated with a better key blank. I bumped into mine last week and it bent almost 45 degrees. I’m afraid that it’s going happen again. It sticks out on my center console. Thanks.

Captain

Re: Ignition key

Your style ignition key is stamped instead of cut on a machine so most likely no key blanks are available. On some installs I choose to mount a remote ignition switch instead of the switch in the binacle.
Captain

My guy who did the install suggested that.  But there wasn’t a space for it on the dash. I made a tough decision. It made sense to do that but it wouldn’t have look right. We would have had to squeeze it in and move the binnacle so it would look Mickey Mouse.  So all the Evinrude keys are made the same? So lame. 

Rick could I still make that change without a major ordeal if I had to?

Highlighted
Captain

It would be easy to install a remote switch since the switch connector is in the wire harness. Also I think there is an ignition extension harness available so the switch could be located further away from the binacle (6 feet?). A separate kill switch can also be installed to allow the kill lanyard to work without interference. I've seen some stupid installs where the kill lanyard wrapped around the steering wheel. I have installed key switches under the steering wheel, in a protected location, on center consoles with destroyer, spoke, style wheels with a kill switch on the vertical part of the console. One has to reach under or through the wheel to operate the key switch but a lot of owners only start their engines once or twice a day.
Admiral

If you are talking about the black keys whose switch contains the safety lanyard which physically turns the switch to the OFF position when pulled, those keys have been used since the introduction of the1996 model engines.

Recently the key switch was changed to a different style for the Evinrude E-TEC G2 models because of it's new networking requirements. The problem in your case is that the safety switch is a separate item that has to be installed in addition to the switch.

On some rigs, installers have mounted the keyswitch and a bezel plate directly behind and underneath the steering wheel if there is enough clearance for your hands while turning the wheel rapidly.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Rick would you know the measurements of the remote ignition switch ? H w d ?  Bill and you both suggest a possible mount behind the destroyer wheel.. which I have on my center console.   If there is enough space I might make that change. 

Thanks for the good advice.

Captain

I'm fairly sure the #779541 G2 ignition switch with remote kill switch will work for your application but I will have to verify that to be 100 percent sure.
The mounting plates for each switch is 2.63" x 2.63" and requires a 2.125" hole to mount in. I do not have one toeasure right now but believe the height from console to top of the key would be less than 1.5".
Captain

Screenshot_20181229-075254~2.png