Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Instructions for OMC side mount controls

Greetings All, I recently purchased a used E Tec 115 hp for an old boat that I have been restoring. I purchased the motor out of state, so I'm a rigging it myself, not the dealer. I have never installed controls before, and the ones that I purchased for the motor did not come with instructions. Therefore, I am struggling with the proper assembly of the controls and cables. I have searched this forum, the internet, and the evinrude site for OMC style concealable remote control installation instructions with no results. I found the pre-delivery guide, but unfortunately it doesn't include specific instruction on this style of remote. Does anyone know where I can get a copy or have a copy they can send me? I have been working on my boat for almost two years and I'm really excited to get her on the water. Please help ASAP! Thanks.
Admiral

Re: Instructions for OMC side mount controls

I may be able to help if you can tell me which model side control that you have. The part number would be ideal if you know it.

Is this the concealed side control where only the lever is visible or is the the side mount control that is about 1" thick and has a fast idle lever along with keyswitch and wiring and that you have to open up to install the cables?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

I appreciate your help, I'm not sure of the model or part #, but I did find this on the internet, it just doesn't give me step by step instructions. I have it installed, but it won't let me advance the handle to throttle to full forward or reverse. I'm sure I have installed it improperly.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/omc-sterndrive-accessories/index.php?year=1990&model=Sterndrive+Ac...
Admiral

OK, now I know what control you have and think I know what the problem is.

The shift lever where the shift cable atttaches has 2 holes in the ends. For an outboard, the cable attaches to the inner hole. If it is put in the outer hole, the travel is too great and you get a binding condition, such as you described.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thanks for the information, I will try that when I get a chance.
Skipper

I tried what you suggested, it still doesn't operate completely. I have full throttle in forward, but not in reverse. I really appreciate the advice, but a set of instructions would be wonderful.
Admiral

You do not get full throttle in reverse on most controls, only partial throttle travel.

Skipper

I appreciate your help, I got them working it will go full throttle in forward and reverse. It was just a matter of making adjustments once the cables were hocked up, the only question that I have now is where do the two yellow wires go to? The ignition?
Admiral

the yellow wires are the neutral safety switch so you do not start up the engine ingear and perhaps injure someone or damage something.

At your keyswitch wiring is a yellow or yellow/red stripe wire that attaches to one of the control wires and the other control wire is fastened to the terminal on the switch. Double check that it works correctly. The starter motor should not activate if the control box is in either forward or reverse.

Mate

I would like to know how to reverse the installation side of the BRP Control Box part 5006180.  I need to mount it on the right side of my center console.

Can anayone help me?