Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

Re: Is there any way to know, short of taking the boat / engine to a dealer...

Awesome, thanks.

I spoke to an Evinrude Dealer in Campbell River today.  He said he saw an engine just yesterday that required this update too.

He said to let him know when I can 'boat over' and he will come down to the dock and flash the engine.  I suspect it will be in the Spring as the winds have really picked up here.  Time to tuck the boat in for the Winter.

But good to know I can get it looked after in the Spring without having to trailer the boat and barge it to a dealer...

Admiral

When he updates your software (actually it is firmware) you will realize how quickly and easily it is done. Most other outboards that are computer controlled to not have that capability and thus cannot have a simple item fixed or improved without having to install a whole new computer or living with the original condition until a newer model comes out.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Firmware... that makes sense.  Sounds good on it being quick and straight forward.  

The first shop I called (the closest one by water) said they wouldn't do the required firmware update at the dock.  They said they didn't want their laptop near the water.  

The second shop I called, which was a bit further by water, said they would happily send a tech to the dock when the time comes Smiley Happy  Phew.

Captain

Glad to hear that there is a dealer willing to assist with the update or what ever you call it, when they dont mind helping it make a loyal customer of me. Good luck alyaz hope you get a break in the weather to get er dun soon.

Captain

Thank you...appreciate it.  Yes, when a dealer is willing to do this sort of thing it makes for loyal customers Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Captain

Pulled out the boat today for the winter.  Got it flushed out and rinsed off with 'Salt Away.' Tomorrow I will pressure wash everything and do the 'winterization' procedure.  Will read up on it tonight and hopefully just do it via the rear engine hose port.

When the boat goes back in next spring I will make an appointment to buzz over to Campbell River to get the engine 'flashed' with the update.

112 hours this year.  Very pleased with the 135HO.  Smiley Happy