Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

Is there any way to know, short of taking the boat / engine to a dealer...

[ Edited ]

...if my 135HO has an older software program on it, it may account for the 'hot air sensor' alarm coming on a few times this summer.

I live in a remote area and it isn't easy to get my boat to a dealer.  I would have to barge it to the mainland (because my trailer is on island) and then drive it to the nearest dealer.  So it would be a day to get it there and a day to get it back along with two barge fees of about $250 each way plus ferry fees and an overnight somewhere.

Anyway, I asked the selling dealer to do this for me but he hasn't.  So with the serial number etc., can this be done somehow or could I do it?

Apparently there is a software update that may correct these nuisance alarms...

Thanks.

Captain

Re: Is there any way to know, short of taking the boat / engine to a dealer...

You would need a laptop running EvDiags 5, plus the appropriate USB to serial cable and adaptor. You would need the bootstrap cable to allow software updates and then you would need the software image.

You could technically buy all that and have the dealer give you the correct image. 

Captain

[ Edited ]

Copy, thanks.

I contacted him again yesterday and he says he hopes to hear something back today.

In his reply he stated that if it requires the new software update, 

'You have an obligation to get your boat into a  dealership (as per warranty agreement).'

Just so I know where I stand, there should be no problem doing that in the spring should there?  I am about to pull the boat out for the winter season, any day now.  As it stays at a buoy, my experience is to pull the boat on a calm day and not leave it too long.

Kind of miffed in that he admitted he sold the motor without checking if there were any updates for it.  Is that a legitimate concern on my part or is that common practice, as he says, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Some time ago, forum member, 'ElderSparky' advised me there was an update for nuisance alarms.  When I mentioned it to the dealer he initially blew it off.  Will be interesting to see if it turns out to be as ElderSparky said (Dealer reference 3030515 rev 27563A).

Thanks.

Captain

Many of the software updates for engines have wording similar to "If your customer experiences this condition then install this update".
Software updates are not done on all engines just because there is one available.
Captain

Copy, thanks.  Good to know.

Captain

Just so I don't screw anything up here...

If I take the boat out of the water in the next few days...

Winterize it...

and deal with the software update in the spring, I am not doing anything that may void the warranty.  Correct?

Admiral

You and your motor will be fine. Too bad you do not get to enjoy it some more untill spring.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Copy.  Thank you.

Captain

Anyone know what the difference(s) are between the two software updates?

3030515_27563A

and

3030515_2029418

Thanks...

Captain

[ Edited ]

2029418 changes the air temp hot code parameters and no other calibration changes are made.