Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

*LEMON * 2017 EVINRUDE ETEC 150 HP

Hello,

I am going to vent a bit here as i am entirely discusted with  evinrude and honestly would do everything i could to talk someone away from purchasing evinrude. Allow me to begin.

Last fall I had my motor blow on my 1998 stratos. The boat was in great shape and to buy a whole new set up used would have been the cost of a new evinrude motor. The main reason i purchased an evinrude motor is that it was compatable with my controls, and highly recommended by the dealer. Biggest mistake i have ever made.

I purchased a 2017 etec 150 hp in late 2016. The dealer Murray lake marina proclaimed that this was the only 2017 in the nation and it was top of the line etc etc. This upsets me more and more as i describe this. 

I was fairly pleased with the motor to start. I ran the motor roughly 6 times in 2016 to finish off the bass season.

I was excited to start my 2017 season.The first time out seemed fine. The second time out i noticed that each time the water would hit the back of the motor covering the exahust hole it would bog out and lose all power. This happened mostly when coming off plane and attempting to get ahead of the wave created so that the water didnt come over the back of the boat. I took it in to the shop the first time early in the 2017 bass season. The shop said well it needs a tune up. Murray Lake Marinas service person Kenny May said he lake tested it and it ran great.This "tune up" was done at 16 hours and cost me $400. Paid for diagnostic and to hook it up to a computer and lake test and parts. What a joke.

I thought ok i should be good now. Took it out on the next tournament after missing 1 with my new motor. The problem was still there..... it was doing the very same thing it had done when i brought it in. Bogging out  or choking out when water hit the back of the motor near the pee stream. Confused i called Murray lake Marina back and set a date to bring it in again only this time i asked that the tech go on the water with me. 

Kenny went on the water with me and i was able to reproduce the problem that was happening. He had made a couple of very strange remarks one being " all motors have a certain RPM where they do not run well"........ I have been apart of the bass community for many years and this one was new to me. Kenny admitted seeing the problem and said he would contact evinrude. 

I received a call days later from kenny. He had said that after talking with evinrude it was determined my application of putting this motor on my bass boat was the root cause. MY APPLICATION?????? The dealer knowing what boat i had presented this motor to me!!!! I asked Kenny how is the CONSUMER to know any of this if indeed it is true. ( I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT). He had said that "evinrude makes this motor for several models of boats and cannot guarentee perfect function on all applications.... What a load of crap!!!! I asked the question how am i to know this??? I asked did you know this being a certified dealer. The answer was i dont know what to tell you, and i have no way of knowing..... This my fellow boaters is a big pile of bull **bleep**.

I contacted evinrude. Spoke to the gal on the phone where she relayed the same information to me as Kenny from the notes. I received an email that reads-

Good morning Mike,

In speaking with the Technical Support Team, it has been determined that your application is the reasoning for the water coming over the top of the engine when you come to a stop. I understand that you have a bass boat and there may be more weight in the back of the boat. A tip to prevent this from happening would be to slightly accelerate when the wave is coming from behind you. I am sorry for the inconvenience. If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact your local authorized Evinrude dealer for assistance.

Regards,

BRP MPS After Sales Support

The fix given for this is slightly accelerate when the wave is coming behind you...... REALLY EVINRUDE!!!!!!!!! A boat motor that cannot run when water hits the pee stream....... YOU CANNOT HONESTLY BELIEVE THIS!!!! 

I called Evinrude back and requested this get escalated and that i receive a call from a supervisor or someone in atthority. The lady explained that i would receive a call in the next couple days , but didnt know when as her managment was very busy. GUESS WHAT THE CALL NEVER CAME!!!!!!!!

I had no choice. As a consumer i suppose i am just left to deal with this $13,500 piece of shi*. I continued running tournaments and trying several ways of accelerating to keep my precious motor dry...... Dont get it wet or else it will die i would joke as i felt utter dispair and loss. 

Two weeks ago i launched my boat. I was boat 16... I took off acrossed the water and as i met the midway point to my spot i heard boom boom. I shut the motor down and it was seized. I attempted to start and got "clunk" "clunk". The motor would not budge. After several minutes of sitting in my seat nearly puking over my expeiriance with this motor i hit the key. It turned over and i putted myself to shore. 

I made an appointment and dropped the boat off to a different certified dealer. They have the boat now, but i have not heard yet as to what they have found or even if they have got it into the shop yet.

I have spent most of this season with no boat or with one that did NOT run right. Guess thats what you get for buying a new motor with Evinrude and dealing with their less than satisfactory support team. .... Is support team the right work........ lets just go with team.

What do i do? I am waiting for the shop to call, but at this point i want nothing to do with this motor. I think that i should contact a lemon law attorney since i have not had any luck with this "support team".

Can anyone help?

Sincerly,

Mike Wazny

Skipper

Re: *LEMON * 2017 EVINRUDE ETEC 150 HP

Maybe consider putting some weight in front of the boat to rebalance it? Experiment with a 40 lbs sand bag. 

Admiral

Mike,

Your concerns have been forwarded to Evinrude's after sales support department.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

What size/weight motor was on there before the Etec? An Etec 150 with a 20" shaft weighs 418#. Also curious if it was the same height on the transom.
2017 Tidewater 1910 Baymax
Evinrude 150HO (M: E150HGXABH S/N: 05500627H MFDate: 6/17)
Skipper

Mike,

What is your current set up, IE prop to pad? you running a plate? Perhaps you are a bit low in the water causing this issue a good starting point is 3.5" below pad. You may have a setup issue. Sorry to hear of your issues.

Captain

@Mikewazny wrote:

I called Evinrude back and requested this get escalated and that i receive a call from a supervisor or someone in atthority. The lady explained that i would receive a call in the next couple days , but didnt know when as her managment was very busy. GUESS WHAT THE CALL NEVER CAME!!!!!!!!

I don't know if this is current, but i received this information from a non-BRP source.  The contact I was given is:

Manager of Warranty and After Sales Support:

Keith Moody

101 Science Dr., Sturtevant, WI 53177.

There is nothing in the 200 HO Operator's Guide (Rev B) about any problem regarding the exhaust port.  However, days after I bought my G2, I received a letter and the updated Rev D manual from BRP.  That manual (page 41) has updates following regarding flushing (note the last sentence).

"NOTICE

IMPORTANT:  Trim the outboard to the vertical (down) position to flush the engine.

Flushing the engine with the outboard tilted can allow water to enter the cylinders, resulting in engine damage.

When flushing is complete, store the outboard in the recommended down position.

If the outboard must be stored in a tilted position, make SURE the cooling system is drained completely BEFORE tilting.

Never place the gearcase higher than the powerhead.  Any water remaining in the exhaust passages can run into

the cylinders and cause serious damage."

If you had water going into your exhaust passages due to the setup and your engine operator guide has the same information mine does, my guess is that might be the cause of the failure.

I find it hard to believe your dealer wouldn't have seen how low your boat sits on the water and would not be concerned about (or even experiencing during a test run) the waves possibly entering the engine exhaust port enough to tell you about it or offer ways to raise the engine (e.g. jackplate as mentioned in a previous posting) or recommend another, perhaps lighter, engine.

Mate

Evin rude has a rep now working with the new shop. Im not boat mechanic i just purchase a motor and had it installed. Hopefully they can help. The first shop will pay my bill if its a hook up i promise you that, and with all luck should be covered through a warranty of work from a certified dealer.

Admiral

[ Edited ]

Mike,

Share with us what the tech rep finds out and what was done to your boat and motor when it is completed.

By the way, is your motor a traditional Evinrude E-TEC 150 HP or the new E-TEC G2 series?  Can you post the model number if you are not sure?

Thanks.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

Why do people leave you hanging?
Admiral

@jakeo wrote:
Why do people leave you hanging?

Most of the time the person asking the question or stating a complaint never comes back to say what the solution was or what transpired.

We call it "drive-by posting"