Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

Lost RPM's in Hot Weather, post contains EMM report.

I noticed that I lost almost 600 RPM's while on vacation, during the scorching heat 2 weeks ago. The motor normally will run 5400 RPMs. I had to switch from my 21 Renegade Offshore, to my 21 Rebel and gained 200 back., for 5000 RPM's. Last weekend, after getting back home, in cooler weather, the best I could get was 5200 RPM's so I tossed on my 20 Raker (did not have with, while on vacation) and am now back to 5400. Engine (2007 250 non-HO) has just at 300 hours, Replaced the Fuel filter, original spark plugs look great, cleaned, re-regapped and re-indexed them. Just wondering if this sounds normal. No check engine light. I did a EMM check, no codes. if you would like to see the report, its at http://www.ezfender.com/evinrude-diagnostic.html I posted it for BBC and got a clean bill of health from them. I am going to buy a new 18 Rebel this week, to try to get the rpms up to 5700, just wanted to pass this on to you, to get your thoughts.  Engine runs fantastic, gets 2.8 mpg @ 3500 RPM's (38mph) Was thinking about upgrading to a 250HO for performance purposes, but since the L2 gearcase went away and back to the Magnum, I'll either keep this one or jump to a new 300 in the future.

Thanks

Bryan

2007 Manitou SHP X-plode
2007 Evinrude 250 Etec
10" hydraulic CMC jack plate
Highlighted
Mate

Re: Lost RPM's in Hot Weather, post contains EMM report.

Even considering the very hot weather, 600 rpm is a large drop. I would suspect a rich flowing fuel injector. If this is the case, your dealer can do a diagnostic fuel trim adjustment to try to pinpoint the individual injector.

Highlighted
Admiral

600 rpm is a big loss even counting the heat and humidity. It might be a good idea to have the motor checked over. A computer check is not a substitute for a thorough exam.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Quick update. Ran the boat yesterday, 82 degrees outside, water temp was 74. Another 10 degrees cooler out from last weekend. 20 degrees difference from down at The Lake of the Ozarks, 3 weeks ago. With the 20 Raker, got 5800 rpm's. Only difference was I put in 89 octane fuel. Going to toss on my 21 Viper today and run it. I'll let ya know what happens.

2007 Manitou SHP X-plode
2007 Evinrude 250 Etec
Highlighted
Skipper

Well, the 21 Viper ran 5600 RPM's. Back to normal. Think I should still take it to the dealer? It hasn't been in since I bought it, and I know there is an EMM programming update.

2007 Manitou SHP X-plode
2007 Evinrude 250 Etec
Highlighted
Admiral

It would be a good idea to take it to your dealer for the update and a quick checkover.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Admiral

@bryden24shp wrote:

Think I should still take it to the dealer? It hasn't been in since I bought it, and I know there is an EMM programming update.

While re-reading this thread I noticed your motor is a 2007 model. That makes it 5 model years old now and you've probably had it more than 3 years.

Has the 3 year or 300 hour service been done to it?  The calendar time is just as important as the number of hours used and that is why the service interval is written as such.

Highlighted
Skipper

To change the discussion, what is the boat to understand the running surface? How about the waves, wind and current?

These are obvious elements that will increase and decrease performance on your boat. My previous boat with a 225rude would slow a bit in the Florida Keys. It would not over heat, but run hot overall.

If you think none of the elements are a factor, check your gear case lower oil plug for water? I found that my 2007 E-Tecs had a problem with the upper seal (under the water pump), that can suck water into the drive. After the first 60 hours my seals starting to leak. 

Highlighted
Skipper

Ya, I think you are all right. Seahorse, I pulled the plug, the lower unit oil is "milkshaked". Good call! I did notice a few weeks ago, when I loaded it on the trailer, I had an oily film on the lower unit, I didn't think anything of it, because the ramp I was using had alot of oil film around it, from a boat being towed in after he crashed his lower unit. But I looked at mine closer, today, after pulling the oil sample,  and noticed it looks like its coming out of a vent hole, above the bullet. I am in the process of scheduling it in to the dealer. I'm having the whole 300 hour service done, the EMM software update, plus a new timing tab. Looks like it was hitting the flywheel and broke off. Also going to have them check the injector mapping.

Anything else you guys can think of?

Thanks, I really appeciate the help!

Bryan

2007 Manitou SHP X-plode
2007 Evinrude 250 Etec