Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

Lower Gearcase Lube Change on 2012 E-TEC 90hp

I purchased my 90hp before this season and was told by my E-Tec dealer that it was a good idea to change the lower gearcase lube every year. I have about 50 hours on the engine now. I know the manual shows three years for first service, would you suggest changing the lubricant, prior to that 3 year (300) first service? If so, what lube do they suggest an owner use for the E-Tec?  Is there a web site that shows this procedure?

Captain

Re: Lower Gearcase Lube Change on 2012 E-TEC 90hp

The Evinrude HPF Pro gear lube is recommended for all E-TEC models.

It is one of the best marine gear lubes available today.

It's up to you whether or not you change the lube every year, but it is not needed until the 3 year or 300 hour mark, which ever comes first. At the very least, you should remove the propeller and make sure no fishing line has gotten caught and wrapped around the prop-shaft. This would damage the seal and cause an oil leak. If you were to find fishing line around the prop-shaft, then it would be advisable to check/change the gear lube to ensure water has not entered the gearcase.

Regarding the oil change procedure, we are in the middle of filming a video for this. If you're not in a rush to change the gear lube, we will post the video on this site in the near future.

Hope this helps,

-John

The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent BRP's positions, strategies or opinions.
Captain

Thank You John for your reply!

I will wait until the video post shows up on this site. Appreciate your thoughts.

Highlighted
Captain

OconeeRich,

The video has been posted. Click the link below.

Video Link

Hope this helps you!

-John

The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent BRP's positions, strategies or opinions.
Captain

John,

Thanks so much for the Video it was very helpful.

OconeeRich

Mate

how much lube in ounces for 90 hp 2011 lower end?

Admiral

The volume of oil varies with the model number. what is the engine model number?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

I own a e90DPLlI
Admiral

31.6 oz. of Evinrude HPF-Pro lower unit oil

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Thanks for the info