Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Re: MORE E-TEC ENGINE PROBLEMS

I have a problem. I recently purchaced my dream boat 1998 Pro-line 2950 with twin 2012 Evinrude Etec 250's .

I had previously had a  2002 22' pro-line with a 200 mercury 2 stroke, So i was hesitant about buying a boat with the 2 stroke engine because i hated the way the Mecury smoked and the noise it made. However I was pleasantly suprised by the power and lack of smoke and noise from newer Etec so what the heck it's in my budget. I have owned the boat for about 2 months now and we have enjoyed it very much especially with the new twin engines. However a few months into using the boat we started to have an overheating issue so i called my boat guy and took it for service. I'm from NC and it seems there are not alot of Etec dealers around me and my mechanic has all of the software to look at the computer on the Etec so i'm good with him. We found the the motors only has 288hrs on the so i was tickled to have such low hr engines but, got a call today the i needed to come by the shop there was a problem. I was having the engines cooling system totaly redone and in the process we were doing the 300hr service on the lower units. ( Here's where the trouble is) The starboard motor was fine the port motor was full of metal shavings in the lower unit oil. We are looking for a rebuilt replacement but none seem to be out there. So what now? I spent everything i had to buy this boat and cannot afford to spend the $5600 to buy a new factory replacement. I have looked online and it look like my warranty is out so what to do...Any help would be GREATLY Appreciated.

Admiral

Pro2950,

If the gearcase shows no sign of impact and the propshaft is not bent, ask the technicain to contact dealer support services to see if they could participate in some way to help you with your gearcase situation. You can also contact Evinrude After Sales Support or email brp.care@brp.com

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Just purchased a 2016 Stratos bass boat paired with a 2016 150hp H.O Etec Evinrude. It has appoximatly 2 hrs on it. Today it started miss firing, a knocking sound, the whole boat would vibrate then the engine would shut off. I've taken the boat out a few times and it ran fine just as a BRAND NEW ENGINE SHOULD ! My boat dealer is great but they're 95 miles away. Does anyone have any idea what this sounds like? The oil reservoir has oil. And no warning lights came on. 

Thank you !!!!!!!

Mate

The dealers techs found metal shavings in my 2016 150hp HO ETEC ! The engine has approximetly 3hrs on it. Evinrude is covering the warranty. A new powerhead is being delivered. Is this a common problem?

Thank you !

Captain

No, being such a new engine, and it happens to all the brands, your engine could of had a faulty part and if any brand does it happens very early in the life of the engine. Make sure you get a fully dressed powerhead and the dealer does the boat fuel system checks with pressure and vacuum gauge becasue a restricited fuel system can and does cause more problems then people relise and if not confirmed as correct the new powerhead would most likely fail too and not really an engine problem. 

Captain

[ Edited ]

Ok ,im going to go against the grain here and be a positive poster.I bought a new 60 etec in the spring of 2012 (2011 motor) i could not be more pleased with the performance of this motor period!What a tourque little beast it is .I currently have it on a 160 ss starcraft that is rated for 85 hp and can still get mid 30,s out of her and amazing fuel milage.Oil comsumption is excellent on the xd50 setting and is by my calculations way above 50:1 more like 75 to 85 .First 2 jugs of oil were xd 100 ,then a switched to 2 jugs of penzoil xlf semi-synth (me like),now im on the last of a gallon of xd50 which was given to me for free.Now for the wining!My 1939 22.5 hp opposed twin evinrude needs points and i cant believe that after only 75 years the dealer doesnt have any !!Smiley LOLI might add that when i go to camp its 27 miles one way by water add in fishing all over the place which could add 20 plus miles more, plus coming back another 27 all with zero issues and on less than 10 gallons to boot!

Admiral

82rude wrote:

Ok ,im going to go against the grain here and be a positive poster.I bought a new 60 etec in the spring of 2012 (2011 motor) i could not be more pleased with the performance of this motor period!

Now for the wining!My 1939 22.5 hp opposed twin evinrude needs points and i cant believe that after only 75 years the dealer doesnt have any

Thanks for the kind words. The Evinrude E-TEC is a great engine and the 60 HP is a powerhouse.

For your 22.5 HP Evinrude parts, check out www.aomci.org

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

[ Edited ]

Hello;  I am a new owner of a 2015 ETEC G2.  I only have about 20 hours on my engine.  It is experiencing the following issues.  The 1st time I used the engine this year it generated a 134 Code (Exhuast Temperature Fault.)  When the CODE is generated the engine is limited to 2000 RPM.  If I turn off the engine the code is no longer displayed and runs normally.

I took it out again yesterday and the CODE is intermittently generated.  Next, the engine has an audible difference in the engine sound @ idle and when I try to accelerate its acts as if its starved for fuel, but eventually kicks in and comes up on plane, runs fast, but engine still sounds different.  The air temperature was about 33 when I launched yesterday and warmed up to about 47 during the day.  Just wondering if this can be caused by vapor freeze or if these engine symptoms correspond to a "faulty" Exhaust Temperature Sensor that a Bulletin exist for.  I am bringing it in for service this weekend.

In no way am I giving up on this new engine.  I am a technical person and I understand that sensors fail but I wanted some feedback to see if anyone else has experienced this issue.  Hopefully someone can shed some light on the subject!!

Admiral

We are sorry to hear about your experiences with your new Evinrude.

There is a service bulletin about correcting the problem and new instructions about orienting the water spray nipple in the exhaust. If your dealer is not familiar with it, refer to bulletin  # 2015-02(W)

Skipper

[ Edited ]

Hello BluewaterBill, are the bulletins available online or are these confidential and accessible to trained service technicians only?  Would be nice to be able to get at least a brief description of what the bulletins are supposed to correct even if they are confidential.  Do you think based on my description of the rough idle and code 134 that the bulletin you posted will resolve the issue?